How do I know if I was charged with a DUI? 14 Answers as of July 12, 2013

Two weeks ago, police arrested me for a DUI. When do I find out what my official charge is? Do the police have a certain time they have to charge me by?

You got a court date when they released you. When you show up you will find out. In the meantime you can call the district attorneys' office or the court and ask them. They have 1 year to file the charges.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
You were given a court date when they released you. You can either wait till that date and the judge will tell you or you can go to the court clerks office and ask them. If the case has been filed they will sell you a copy of the police report for a few dollars. For more info or a fee quote, call me.
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman
The Law Offices of Gabriel Dorman | Gabriel Dorman
Presumably, you should have received your paperwork after your arrest. In general, someone arrested for a DUI receive either a citation, an Own Recognizance release from jail and/or a bail receipt indicating when and where you are supposed to appear in court. If that did not happen for you, then you can certainly contact the police department that arrested you and indicated to them that you were arrested for a DUI and that you were released without any paperwork and would like to know when and where to appear in court. However, your best bet is to contact an experienced DUI attorney to help you with this. I hope this answer was helpful. Good luck.
The police do not file charges. The DA does. The DA has at least one year to file charges. If you were given a citation, it shouild have a court appearance date. Go to court on that date. If you bailed out, the bail papers have a court date on them. Go to court on tha date. If you did not receive a citation or bail paper with a court date on it, most courts have a web site where you can enter your name and date of birth . When the case is filed, there should be a court date. You might even , tough it is not required, receive a letter from the DA informing you of a court date.
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
Were you given a court date?
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    What state was this in? Did they take your license? You failed to provide enough information. Breath or blood test?
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law
    Alanna D. Coopersmith, Attorney at Law | Alanna D. Coopersmith
    Check the paperwork: they may have given you a citation to appear in court on a certain date. If not, you'll receive a letter in the mail with the court date if they decide to charge you. The DA has up to a year to charge a DUI (although practically speaking, I doubt they'll take that long.) You can always check with the criminal clerk at the superior court in your county to make sure that you haven't missed court and a warrant hasn't been issued.
    Were you given a citation by the police? Usually, when arrested on a matter you would be given a citation that would state when you are to appear in Court, and which court to appear in. If you have your citation with Court information on it, and you want to find out exactly what the charge is, you or your attorney can go to the court, or contact the city attorney or district attorney depending on who is filing the charges, and attempt to pick up the discovery prior to the arraignment date. Contact me if you have additional questions or would like to speak about your potential case in more detail.
    You should have a future court date, about a month from arrest. If there are no charges filed by that date, then you are probably not going to be charged. If you do not know your court date, call the DA's office or the criminal business office. An attorney can also find out this info for you, free of charge.
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN
    Law Office of Michael Bialys THE DUI MAN | Michael Bialys
    YOu would find out the official charges when you appear in court. They gave a year and a day from the arrest date to charge you.
    Unless you were clearly told no charges were being filed at the time of your release, you were supposed to be given papers showing the charges and the court date you are to appear. If you actually received nothing upon release, then you may get in the mail a letter from the DA advising of your court date and the charges. The prosecution has a year to file charges. If you are not certain about what happened, go to that police station and get an answer. If you blow by your court date because you didnt understand what happened to you, there will be an arrest warrant for you, making matters worse. If serious about hiring an attorney to help you in this, and/or to defend the charges, feel free to contact me.
    You would have received a date from the police officer. It is important to appear in court on that date. The DA will have up to a year to file charges if they do not file prior to the date the officer gave.
    Law Office of David Swanson
    Law Office of David Swanson | David Swanson
    You can call the DA's Office at the court where your case would be filed and ask them. If you have any other questions, please feel free to contact me.
    The police does not charge you; the prosecutor does. What the police does is write a report, which gets forwarded to the prosecutor, who reviews the report and files the complaint. Consider hiring a DUI specialist to help you, because the DMV aspect of the case cannot wait until the court date and requires timely action.