How do I know if I qualify for citizenship? 7 Answers as of August 23, 2011

I have been married to my American husband for 6 years. We have lived in the states for the past 4.8 years. I’m thinking of applying for citizenship and would like to know what checks are carried out by them to see if I qualify. I was told they investigate way back to when you it’s get your Green Card? Is this correct or are they just checking you have "behaved" since being in the USA? Thanks

If you have not " behaved" in the past, you may want to talk to an experienced immigration attorney
You can find about what information you have to give USCIS in www.uscis.gov, go to forms, and select N-400 and there you can see the N-400 instructions and there you will know about this process.
You must be a permanent resident for 3 years, and be physically present in the US for half of that time from the time you file for citizenship. The do a criminal background check using your fingerprints.
Kazmi & Sakata
Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
Hello. In order to qualify for citizenship based on your marriage (if he sponsored your green card), you must have residency for 3 years (which you do). If you got your green card another way, then it is 5 years. You must also have Good Moral Character during this period. Therefore, I would need to know more about your concerns regarding their "investigation." In addition, you still must provide all your trips outside the US since you first became a resident. If some prior crime was beyond the 5 years, it can still cause you to lose your Residency if it is a Removable Offense.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
Part of the review process is a determination of whether you properly obtained your resident status. You should consult with an immigration attorney if there is anything in your past that could cast doubt.