How do I know if I have received an Infraction or a Misdemeanor? 9 Answers as of March 16, 2011

I'm 19 and I live in CA. An officer pulled me over in my neighborhood because there were reports of a "suspicious vehicle". I had weed in my car, which he smelled, and I was asked to step out of my car. He searched me and then put me in the back of his cruiser while he searched my vehicle, and found my weed. I only had 2 grams, so on my ticket he wrote 23222 (b) VC. However, he did not specify on the ticket if it was an infraction or a misdemeanor. I know that as of Jan. 1, 2011, 23222 (b) is now considered an infraction. Even though I have read this, I dont want to assume that it's an infraction and then end up going to court only to find out that it is a misdemeanor. How can I find out for sure?

Once the cases has been filed you may contact the court and they will tell you if it is an infraction or a misdemeanor.
There should be boxes on the citation marked "I" or "M" which would indicate whether he was citing you for a misdemeanor or a felony. If this was not done or it is unclear you will need to check with the court clerk. In any event you are correct that a violation of CVC 23222(b) can only be an infraction so unless there are other possible charges from the facts of your detention you should be okay.
The officer and the citation do NOT determine the outcome. Whatever the DA files it as will be on the Complaint and related documents you will receive at your arraignment, your first court appearance. Whether an infraction or not, you can deal with it yourself, or hire counsel to help you. If serious about doing so, feel free to contact me.
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
Vc23222b describes possessing less than an oz while driving as a misdemeanor. call the court and give them your citation number and ask if it is charged as an infraction or misdemeanor...
On the ticket, there are boxes in the upper right hand corner for the officer to check that specify infraction or misdemeanor. If you're still not sure, have an attorney look at it.
    If you got the ticket after Jan 1 2011 it is an infraction.
    It could be either. To be sure, you can call the clerk of the court handling your case. Regardless, you should hire an attorney, because an experienced attorney can often infract or dismiss this kind of minor charge.