How do I know if I am eligible for for a L1 intra-company transfer visa? 7 Answers as of August 09, 2011

I am an EU citizen who may have the chance of being rehired by a former US employer in US. I was recruited in Europe for a managerial position and work for almost three years, there, unfortunately I was laid off in the mid of 2009. So if they’d like to rehire me for a position in US, am I still eligible for a L1 intra-company tranfer Visa? Thank in advance.

Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You should be eligible if the U.S. and overseas company are sufficiently related. Your temporary lay-off will not be a problem. A definite answer depends on too many other circumstances so that you need to consult an experienced immigration attorney if you are serious about it.
If you have one year experience with the company in tha past 3 years from the time they petition for you, then you may qualify.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
I tentatively say yes, because I dont know enough about the company's structure itself. The requirement for you is that you have worked for the company abroad for one continuous year within the last 3 years so if you were laid off in mid 2009, it sounds like you might still qualify. Obviously, there are other issues related to the L1 that I cant tell from your post.
As long as you have worked in the foreign Co. continuously for one year, three years preceding you filing the L-1A petition then you are eligible providing other factors are also established.
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
you will need to work for the company or its overseas affiliates for at least one year in managerial or executive capacity during the past three years. So if you worked for the company from 8/08 to 7/09, you may be eligible.
    Kazmi & Sakata
    Kazmi & Sakata | Harun Kazmi
    You may be eligible if you can prove the managerial position for one of the last three years. Thus, if you worked 01/2009 to 01/2010, then you will be ok.
    Yoo & Lee, LLP
    Yoo & Lee, LLP | Winston W. Lee
    There's a good chance you may qualify for L-1 visa. However, we would need more background that what you have provided below.