How do I know if I am eligible for citizenship? 6 Answers as of June 26, 2013

I was denied for citizenship about 8 yrs ago for an assault charge. Can I now reapply even though my green card has been expired for a very long time. I'm also now married for the 2nd time now and have 2 children if that makes a difference.

We need to see the court minutes to be able to advise.
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices
Hans Burgos, P.A., Immigration Law Offices | Hans Burgos
You may now file a Petition for Naturalization given that more than 5 years have elapsed since the date of your criminal conviction. But you will have to provide a complete record of (arrest report, information, judgment and sentence) and a statement to the DHS/CIS explaining the circumstances that lead to your arrest. You will need legal representation in this process.
It depends on the exact criminal charge, but in general, if you can show it happened more than 5 years ago, then you are eligible to file. But, you must consult with an immigration attorney that is familiar with the penal code for your state.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
You can reapply, and those other facts may help. The facts of your assault charge are very important. You would be smart to consult with a lawyer before moving forward.
It sounds like you were not helping yourself by letting your green card expire. There may be other facts that will affect your chance. You should consult an experienced immigration lawyer with specific facts, which she or he will ask you during consultation. Only after that, a responsible assessment can be given.
    You need to get a full copy of your court certified disposition that lists the charge, plea and final disposition. Take that along with a full copy of your old case and the DHS denial letter to a competent immigration attorney to fully have your case analyzed, as there may be factors present which would make you eligible or not at this point. As a general matter you must show you have had good moral turpitude for at least the last five years before filing. If your case and probation was cleared eight years ago then you may be able to natz now.