How do I know if I am eligible for Chapter 13 bankruptcy? 12 Answers as of May 28, 2015

How do I know if I can file for bankruptcy?

Meet with an experienced BK attorney (someone who have filed at least 2 or 3 thousand BK's). This will save you countless sleepless nights, and possible heartache if things are not handled properly.
The short answer to your question is to have a consultation with a bankruptcy attorney in your area.
To file under Ch. 13, you must have regular income (not necessarily from a job), and enough to pay your regular living expenses and whatever you are paying into the Ch. 13 Plan. You must not have more than about $370,000 in unsecured debt, r about $1.1 million in secured debt. Consult an experienced bankruptcy lawyer. It's worth it. Good Luck.
Its easier for an attorney to tell you but basically if you have enough income to make some or all of payments for your debts then you would qualify for a chapter 13.
I suggest that you look at your budget. For chapter 13, you will want to have a goal that you are financially able to achieve over 5 years, such as catching up on your mortgage payments or paying off your priority tax debts. Putting together a budget can take some hard work on your part. Completing pre-bankruptcy credit counseling can be a useful tool to create a budget.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    Most people qualify for a chapter 13 bankruptcy if they have an income.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    Contact a bankruptcy attorney in your area. Most of us do allow for free consults to discuss your issues and see what is the best for you.
    To be eligible for a Chapter 13, you need to have a regular source of income (job, self-employment, social security, etc.) and can't have a mortgage larger than $1,100,000 or regular debts larger than $380,000. If your debts are larger, you could file a Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Which is similar to a Chapter 13 but meant for more complex situations.
    Do you have monthly income? Is your income more or less than your expenses (excluding credit card payments)? The best way to know if you can qualify is to ask a local bankruptcy attorney.
    Freeman Law Group, LLC
    Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
    Talk to an attorney about your situation. Most bankruptcy attorneys offer a free consultation, and they can look at your particular situation and tell you whether you qualify.
    Engage a bankruptcy attorney for counseling before you file.