How do I invite my Canadian wife to the US? 3 Answers as of July 16, 2015

My wife is a Canadian citizen. I am trying to invite her here and live with me. Should I file I-130 or ask her to come here and live with me and then start her process and file the other form? Please advice. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny
Law Offices of Svetlana Boukhny | Svetlana Boukhny
Yes, you can petition for her through the I-130. It will take about 1 year before she can get an immigrant visa on that basis.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/16/2015
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Although not clear from your question, I presume you are a U.S. citizen. If that is correct, then you and your wife may go through the consular processing steps in Canada, followed by applying to adjust status to become a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (to get a "Green Card"). Note, that if your wife intends to live in the U.S. permanently, it would be impermissible for her to enter the U.S. with a TN (Treaty NAFTA) visa or most other nonimmigrant visas, because those are only for people who intend to enter the U.S. temporarily, and misuse of such a visa could be deemed "visa fraud," with potentially very harsh consequences. It would be wise for you and your wife to consult with an immigration attorney who, after learning all of the relevant information about each of you, could advise you about the best options to attain your goals, and could represent you in that process. Some immigration law firms, including mine, offer legal services on a "flat fee" basis so that a client will know the total expense from the very beginning, and a few immigration law firms, including mine, offer an initial consultation free of charge.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/13/2015
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
It is a very complicated question. Just have her come and visit and then contact an immigration lawyer before doing anything. It is easier if she is in the US then abroad.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/10/2015
Click to View More Answers: