How do I help a person get their green card? 6 Answers as of May 24, 2011

I want to help my girlfriend get her green card? I am a green holder myself. What can I do to help? We are getting married next year. Does she have to go back home or not?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
Once you get married you can petition for her. It takes years. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. Please call me if you are looking for an attorney.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/24/2011
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
It would be best for you to simultaneously apply for naturalization if you are eligible. You can go ahead and file a petition for her as a resident once you are married, but she will have to wait until you naturalize before she can adjust her status. Please consult with an experienced immigration lawyer before filing any forms. Best of luck.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 5/23/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
If you wish to keep her here, she will need to wait after you file the I-130 petition until her priority number comes up. She will be bumped forward once you are eligible for, and get, U.S. citizenship. If you want to know more, feel free to call.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/20/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
If you have your green card, you can start the process for your wife by filing the I-130 petition. However it will be several years until she can file for her green card based on current processing times. Go to my website. Click on visa bulletin. Click on most recent bulletin and scroll to the family based chart. Find your box. When the I-130 filing date appears there, she can file for her green card. Whether she needs to depart or not depends on her current status in the US. Please seek a full consult with a competent immigration attorney to determine that issue.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/20/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
After you get married, you can file for a visa petition for her on form I-130. When that form is approved, then USCIS will send it to the National Visa Center and they will hold it until the visa priority date (date uscis received it) comes up and processing will begin. Depending on which country she is from, this process will take years. In that time, you want to check, this link to see where she is on the waiting list: Her category will be F2A. The only way she will not have to leave the US is if she is the beneficiary (or derivative through parents, etc) of a visa or labor certification application filed on or before April 30, 2001. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/20/2011
    Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
    Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
    You can only help your girlfriend if you are a U.S. Citizen. As your spouse and if you are an lpr then she will have to wait years for her visa number to become current and would then have to leave the U.S. In order to adjust her statue. However, if you become a a U.S. Citizen she would not have to depart the U.S.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 5/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: