How do I help my spouse become a resident if I am a US citizen? 11 Answers as of July 10, 2013

I'm a citizen of the us and I would like to know how to make my husband that was born and lives in Mexico a resident?

Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
You can petition for him and he will be interviewed in Mexico. If approved, we will become a permanent resident upon his entry into the U.S.
It is a three step process, 1) file a petition for him; 2) petition is approved and send to the National Visa Center which collects fees and forms for the Department of state. 3) Case is scheduled for medical exam and interview at the consulate where an immigrant visa is issued. He then enters the U.S. within 6 months and is a permanent resident. From start to finish this is usually 7-12 months if "clean" case. If he has a criminal record, prior overstays in the U.S., previous deportations, border stops, then the case may be more complicated and may take longer. Best is to call for a paid consultation with him on the phone and we can go through everything including procedures, timing, fees, etc.
File a K-3 spouse visa. Once approved in the U.S. then national visa center will forward to the consulate in Mexico for consular processing...
If he has not violated US immigration laws, you may petition him and he will be interviewed by the US consulate. If all conditions are met, he will be able to come to the US as a permanent resident. The process is complicated and you should hire a seasoned immigration attorney to avoid surprises.
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
If your husband is currently in Mexico, you can file for his green card by filing an I-130 and processing through the consulate in CD Juarez. You may also want to consider a K-3 spousal visa to get him in the US and then adjust his status once he is here. I recommend speaking with an immigration attorney to determine your options.
    If your spouse has never been to the US and you married him there, then I suggest you file a K-3 visa beginning with an I-130 petition. As soon as you receive confirmation that USCIS received your application, you want to file Form I-129F and include the confirmation sent to you by USCIS of Form I-797. If the I-129F is approved by USCIS before the I-130, it will be sent to the National Visa Center for processing and eventually to Mexico for your husband to receive a visa to come to the US and apply for adjustment of status here in the US. It should be faster. However I the event that the I-130 is approved 1st or at the same time as the I-129F, your K-3 visa application will not go forward and you will be asked to continue processing the I-130 instead. At the appropriate time, an immigrant visa interview will be scheduled for your spouse and he will receive his visa to come to the US. Good luck!
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
    Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
    You must file an immigrant visa petition on his behalf. Once the petition was approved, he can apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. Consulate in Mexico to come to the United States. He will be issued a green card upon arrival in the U.S.
    Law Offices of Iman Abouelazm, P.A.
    Law Offices of Iman Abouelazm, P.A. | Iman I. Abouelazm
    You would need to first petition for your spouse. Once the petition is approved, you may apply for an immigrant visa which will be process through the US consulate in your spouse's country of residence.
    Law Office of Baoqin Wang
    Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
    You file immigration petition with US Citizenship & Immigration Services for your husband. The process differs depend on where he resides now and on whether he has any previous immigration violations.
    Not enough information. How did he enter the US, with his own passport and visa? Did he present false documents or did he enter EWI? Did anyone file anything for him prior to April 30, 2001 to grandfather him for section 245(i)? Does he have any arrests, charges or convictions? Has he ever made a false claim to citizenship?
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
    Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
    It is a complicated process and there are many questions that need to be asked before analyzing your case. You will need to speak with an immigration attorney directly.