How do I handle a DUI in another state? 9 Answers as of November 01, 2010

I live in California, but I recently got a DUI in another state. I was only at 0.07 BAC, so I want to fight it, but I do not know anything about New Mexico. Will I have to go there to fight it, or is there a way to do it from here? They said I have to go back. I was not driving erratically or anything, and I was only pulled over because I forgot to turn my lights on when I got in the car (I was only going on a short drive back to the hotel). Should I bother trying to fight it?

Either go there to court, or hire a NM attorney to do so for you.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
Consult the local bar association in the area the arrest occurred.
You need to consult an attorney in that state.
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
You will have to fight it in New Mexico and possibly hire counsel for New Mexico.
Law Office of William M. Concidine
Law Office of William M. Concidine | William Concidine
For a DUI in another state, if you want to fight it you will have to do it in that state. There is no way to fight it in California. You may be able to hire an attorney in the other state to make the court appearances for you, bu if you go to trial, you should be there. Whether to fight your case is something you should discuss with an attorney in the other state who is familiar with the laws of that state.
    You should reach out to an attorney that is licensed to practice in New Mexico. Preferably one that specializes in DUI law in the area that the Court your case will be in. I can assist you in finding an attorney out there if you would like. I am not familiar with the laws in New Mexico, but if they are similar to CA laws, you have a strong case to get the DUI charges dismissed with a .07 BAC
    Wise Law Group
    Wise Law Group | Michael J. Wise, Esq
    I recommend you contact a criminal defense attorney in that state. He or she will be able to represent you in that matter, most likely without you having to return to court based on state law and your criminal history as well as the facts of your particular case.
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    Law Office of Geoffrey M. Yaryan | Geoffrey M. Yaryan
    You certainly should not ignore it. You need to contact an attorney there, mostly the charge can be reduced.
    In California you could hire a lawyer to appear for you on any misdemeanor including a DUI so you should check with a NM lawyer to see if they allow that also.