How do I handle an out of state bench warrant which was never charged in the first place? 4 Answers as of June 23, 2014

I was pulled over for speeding, an out headlight and broken mirror 10 months ago. I was driving without license and I didn't know. After searching my car, they found marijuana. I went to court a month later for the driving without charge, paid off everything, got my license back and attended a driving class as issued by the judge. Now I got a call saying I have a bench warrant out for possession of marijuana but I was never charged. I moved 1000 miles away when I got married since then, so they may have sent it to the wrong address. I don't see how I can have a warrant for a charge that was never given to me. They told me to turn myself in and pay the bond amount even though I'm not in the same state and cannot travel back. I am clean and can prove it and haven't had any drug related offenses in the past.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Get in touch with a lawyer from there and see what can be worked out. Often drug charges do not happen until later since they need to send the stuff to the lab and get proof it is not oregano.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/23/2014
Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
Unfortunately, charges for criminal possession in Michigan have a statute of limitations period of a number of years depending on the offense. Basically, the state does not need to charge you until before that time period lapses. As it has only been 10 months, the limitations period has surely not run. I would recommend contacting an experienced criminal defense attorney in Michigan to figure out how to proceed. There may even be a way to handle this matter without you needing to travel back to the state, though this is rare. Either way, an experienced attorney in the area in which you are being charged can help you to figure out the most expeditious path forward.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/18/2014
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
You must address the warrant or face if ever stopped by police of being arrested. Whether the state will pick you up is left to that state. You can contact an attorney in that state to advise further.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/18/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You should hire an attorney to attempt to care for this in the locality of the charges. Do it now, it will not get better.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/18/2014
Click to View More Answers: