How do I go about terminating my daughter’s father’s parental rights? 6 Answers as of May 01, 2014

My daughter has stated she hates her father and wants nothing to do with him several times. She is 9 years old my boyfriend of 7 years has raised her. Her father has not had contact with her in 3 years and he pays child support whenever he feels like it and he has court ordered supervised visitation. Can I terminate his rights?

Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
No. Only a court can terminate a parent's rights. If you were married (and therefore in a more predictably stable relationship) and he wanted to adopt the child, you could ask the court to terminate his rights. But under the circumstances that is not a likely option. Take your daughter to a therapist to deal with her feelings about her father.
You might be able to based on abandonment. Talk with a local family law attorney to help you figure out if your state's laws will allow it.
No, not unless you have a new spouse willing to adopt.
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
An adoption has to be done prior to a termination of parental rights.
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
Why would you want to? You cannot force your child to see her father. Seems drastic given that statement. Why don't you modify visitation? Whether the father pays support has nothing to do with entitlement to visitation.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    Abandonment is a ground for termination of parental rights. You can file a petition with the Family Court and have good grounds to have the petition granted. You will have to serve the father with notice. The forms can be found online at the Family Court's website.