How do I go about terminating my daughter’s father’s parental rights? 6 Answers as of May 01, 2014

My daughter has stated she hates her father and wants nothing to do with him several times. She is 9 years old my boyfriend of 7 years has raised her. Her father has not had contact with her in 3 years and he pays child support whenever he feels like it and he has court ordered supervised visitation. Can I terminate his rights?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
No. Only a court can terminate a parent's rights. If you were married (and therefore in a more predictably stable relationship) and he wanted to adopt the child, you could ask the court to terminate his rights. But under the circumstances that is not a likely option. Take your daughter to a therapist to deal with her feelings about her father.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/1/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You might be able to based on abandonment. Talk with a local family law attorney to help you figure out if your state's laws will allow it.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 5/1/2014
John Russo | John Russo
No, not unless you have a new spouse willing to adopt.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 5/1/2014
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
An adoption has to be done prior to a termination of parental rights.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 5/1/2014
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
Why would you want to? You cannot force your child to see her father. Seems drastic given that statement. Why don't you modify visitation? Whether the father pays support has nothing to do with entitlement to visitation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/1/2014
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    Abandonment is a ground for termination of parental rights. You can file a petition with the Family Court and have good grounds to have the petition granted. You will have to serve the father with notice. The forms can be found online at the Family Court's website.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 5/1/2014
Click to View More Answers: