How do I go about receiving my inheritance if I have to go to college? 5 Answers as of May 14, 2014

When my grandparents died they had $1,000,000 and they split it four ways. It was going to go to my father. But he had legal issues and they cut him from the will. So I’m supposed to get it. But I have to go to college. I would like details and everything you know or have heard about these kinds of ordeals.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edward L. Armstrong, P.C. | Edward L. Armstrong
Your grandparents have done what many other grandparents have done: put money aside for education. The best thing to do would be to contact the trustee of the trust fund to find out what the trustee would require in the way of documentation. Sometimes it might be a letter from the college in other cases the trustee might have to make tuition payments directly to the college. If there is no trust you should contact the personal representative of the estate (this would be the executor). In any event, the first thing you need to do is follow whatever direction the will or trust suggests.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 5/14/2014
Irsfeld, Irsfeld & Younger LLP | Norman H. Green
Why is there any conflict between inheriting money and going to college?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/6/2014
Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
You will need to talk to the lawyer who is handling the estate. I do not understand what the problem is with inheriting money and going to college. It sounds like the money may help you pay for college. There are so many colleges that you can find one suited to your exact interests, whether it is liberal arts, or science, or music or whatever it might be. I am trying to understand how inheriting a lot of money and going to college could be anything but good.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/5/2014
Hugan Law | Christopher Hugan
Going to college is irrelevant (unless you are currently a minor). The will needs to be offered for probate and the estate administered. Call a probate lawyer in your area.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 5/5/2014
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
When did your grandparents die? If they cut father out of will but did not substitute you in will, you probably have no claim.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/5/2014
Click to View More Answers: