How do I go about getting a reasonable settlement for my injuries? 23 Answers as of May 09, 2014

I ruptured 3 discs in my lower back in July of 2009. I have had 2 back surgeries and 1 procedure to remove the hardware. I have been unable to work since this time and I’m currently on SS disability. I went to court a week ago. I received a settlement offer in the mail Saturday for $69,000. This seems very low to me. Just curious what I should look for in terms of a monetary settlement with these injuries?

Is this a work injury? There are many things that figure into value. You didn't give enough information.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
I don't have sufficient information to assess your case. I presume that you are represented. Listen to your counsel.
Boesen Law, LLC
Boesen Law, LLC | Jon C. Boesen
The answer depends on a number of circumstances, but before a reasonable evaluation can be made, we would need to know what type of accident caused the injuries you sustained. If the injuries were sustained in a car accident, the answer will depend on a much different evaluation that if the injuries were sustained from a work accident. If the injuries you have suffered were as the result of a work injury, the amount of a reasonable settlement will be evaluated on what percentage of impairment you have been determined to have as a result of your injuries, your age and the amount of money you were making at the time of your injuries, among other potential factors. If your injuries were from a car accident, the settlement amount and what is reasonable will be determined by the amount of economic and non-economic damages you have sustained and will likely have in the future as a result of your injuries. Economic damages include past and future medical bills, past and future lost wages, etc... Non-Economic damages will include past and future pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress and permanent impairment...
Boesen Law, LLC
Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
More information would be helpful to me in evaluating your case. You mentioned going to court, but didn't define the proceeding (for example - workers' compensation hearing or civil hearing or trial) or state whether an attorney was involved. Your age, the earnings you had before your injury and the amount you receive from social security will also affect the valuation of your claim, as will any medical expenses you're responsible for.
WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
You should speak with an attorney that handles personal injury cases. I do not. Never settle without an attorney.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    There is not enough information provided to judge whether the amount is reasonable. What type of case is this? Is it from a car accident or a work injury? Is it filed in district court or the Industrial Commission? Is liability disputed? What is the weekly compensation rate? Have weekly benefits been paid? These are a few of the many questions I would need answered before I could express an opinion as to valuation. Why not pay a lawyer for a second opinion? Try a second opinion.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Need more details.
    Injured workers Law firm | Michele Lewane, Esquire
    If you are talking about a workers compensation settlement, the value of your claim is basically the cost of future medical care and future lost wages. All past medical benefits and wages have been paid. There is no money for pain and suffering. Regardless if personal injury or workers comp, this is negotiations and never take the first offer. Also, since you are on social security disability, Social Security and Medicare have an interest in your settlement so definitely talk to your lawyer about the actual net benefit to you.
    David Hoines Law
    David Hoines Law | David Hoines
    This is very complex to discuss.
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    I can't say whether this offer is low. You may not have a good case depending on how the injuries occurred. Talk to your lawyer.
    Work injury? Auto accident? Please have a free conference with the appropriate lawyer.
    Case values vary significantly from case to case and place to place. Experienced injury lawyers are familiar with such values. Consider consulting one. Good luck.
    Strouse Legal Services | James C. Strouse
    Two times medicals plus lost wages = a good award.
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    It would depend upon whether it is a workers comp claim or a personal injury claim. You should discuss the claim with your attorney.
    Johnson & Johnson Law Firm, PLLC | Richard Johnson
    Do you have a lawyer? If not, why not? How much insurance is available overall?
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    Any attorney would need complete facts and documents to determine the potential value of your claim.
    I can't put the scenario together: you went to court a week ago. There are several different types of proceedings I can think of in which that could come about. You don't tell us how you ruptured your discs, or whether this is a work-related injury. You tell us there were three surgeries and you've been out of work for four years, but you don't tell us what your income was or how much the medical bills were. You mention that you got a settlement offer in the mail, and you don't mention having a lawyer, which suggests to me that you don't have one. Now you want free advice on a matter that is of major importance in your life, from someone who doesn't know you, hasn't met you, hasn't read a page of your medical records and has no information as to how this injury has affected your life. Good luck with that.
    Alena Shautsova
    Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
    You have to have an attorney. This is not a question for a forum. Sorry.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    Are you currently being represented by an attorney in court for your injuries?
    I would certainly need to know more about the circumstances, but the amount is being offered does not seem to be adequate. I am confused with your statement you went to court a week ago, and do not know what that means. I am certainly very hopeful that you are being represented counsel.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    Do you have an attorney working on your case? The best input as to the pros and cons of your case and the settlement offer would be an attorney familiar with all the facts. If you don't have an attorney you should consult with one. If you aren't trusting your attorney, you should ask yourself why, and if the attorney isn't keeping you informed, isn't giving you reasons for their input, doesn't seem familiar with the matter, etc. you should either seek a 2nd opinion from other counsel and/or hire new counsel.
    DESANTIS Law Center | Frank De Santis
    If liability is reasonably clear, you should receive in excess of $300,000.
    Why did you go to court? Do you have an attorney to represent you? If not, get one.