How do I go about getting the operation? 14 Answers as of September 11, 2013

I made a settlement for a workman's comp. claim. Part of the settlement was for me to have a total knee replacement in the future. I am about ready, but I cannot find the lawyer who handled the case. He kept all the paperwork from the case.

Contact the workers compensation insurance company and ask them for a copy of the paperwork. I hope to heck you still have the money to pay for the procedure because it is really expensive.
This is an interesting dilemma. First, if you have not done so, contact the bar association for the state where the lawyer was practicing law and explain your need to find the lawyer. Hopefully, the bar will have his information. If he is no longer a member of the bar, contact the Worker's Compensation Commission. The Commission usually approves settlement agreements and should have a copy of your agreement. You may need another lawyer to assist you in getting the employer/insurer to pay for the surgery, but you may be able to get it done by contacting the employer/insurer directly.
Your state should have a bar registry. If he is no longer licensed, your county bar association may have some info as to who took over his files. Otherwise, you can hire a new lawyer who may be able to get records from the workers comp board.
Who was the other party you dealt with? If you cannot remember, run an ad in the State Bar publication seeking this attorney. Otherwise, you may be out of luck.
Your Dr. should have the comp insurance info on file. Let them set the operation up. If you need a copy of the settlement agreement and order, a copy should be on file at the Courthouse if a judge approved it or at the Alabama Department of Labor if an ombudsman approved it.
    Contact the Industrial Commission and review your file and get copies and contact a new comp lawyer.
    Contact the WCAB and see if they have records on your case so that you can find out who the insurance carrier was. Contact the physicians you saw to see if they kept a notation in their billing chart on you as to who paid the bills or who an medical report was sent to. I assumed you checked with the State Bar as to where the attorney might be.
    Caldwell Law Group, PLLC
    Caldwell Law Group, PLLC | Christopher Caldwell
    In Idaho, contact the Idaho Industrial Commission and ask for a copy of the settlement paperwork. Any workers compensation settlement must be approved by the Idaho Industrial Commission and a copy of the settlement will be in the records there.
    Try contacting your employer and finding out who represented them, and your employer's lawyer can probably look up to see who represented you.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    You can do several things. 1. You can contact the insurance company directly. 2. You can contact the employer and request the contact information for the insurance company. 3. You can contact the Iowa Industrial Commission and obtain copies of the settlement documents. 4. You can hire a lawyer to do all of the above.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A.
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A. | Mark A. Sternlicht
    The State Bar should have contact information for the attorney. Another possibility is to see if the Industrial Commission, which oversees workers' compensation claims, has a copy of the documents that you need.