How do I go about getting the operation? 14 Answers as of September 11, 2013

I made a settlement for a workman's comp. claim. Part of the settlement was for me to have a total knee replacement in the future. I am about ready, but I cannot find the lawyer who handled the case. He kept all the paperwork from the case.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Contact the workers compensation insurance company and ask them for a copy of the paperwork. I hope to heck you still have the money to pay for the procedure because it is really expensive.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/11/2013
David F. Stoddard
David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
This is an interesting dilemma. First, if you have not done so, contact the bar association for the state where the lawyer was practicing law and explain your need to find the lawyer. Hopefully, the bar will have his information. If he is no longer a member of the bar, contact the Worker's Compensation Commission. The Commission usually approves settlement agreements and should have a copy of your agreement. You may need another lawyer to assist you in getting the employer/insurer to pay for the surgery, but you may be able to get it done by contacting the employer/insurer directly.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 8/1/2013
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
Your state should have a bar registry. If he is no longer licensed, your county bar association may have some info as to who took over his files. Otherwise, you can hire a new lawyer who may be able to get records from the workers comp board.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/1/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
Who was the other party you dealt with? If you cannot remember, run an ad in the State Bar publication seeking this attorney. Otherwise, you may be out of luck.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 7/31/2013
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
Your Dr. should have the comp insurance info on file. Let them set the operation up. If you need a copy of the settlement agreement and order, a copy should be on file at the Courthouse if a judge approved it or at the Alabama Department of Labor if an ombudsman approved it.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 7/31/2013
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Contact the Industrial Commission and review your file and get copies and contact a new comp lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 7/31/2013
    Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
    Contact the WCAB and see if they have records on your case so that you can find out who the insurance carrier was. Contact the physicians you saw to see if they kept a notation in their billing chart on you as to who paid the bills or who an medical report was sent to. I assumed you checked with the State Bar as to where the attorney might be.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 7/31/2013
    Caldwell Law Group, PLLC
    Caldwell Law Group, PLLC | Christopher Caldwell
    In Idaho, contact the Idaho Industrial Commission and ask for a copy of the settlement paperwork. Any workers compensation settlement must be approved by the Idaho Industrial Commission and a copy of the settlement will be in the records there.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 7/31/2013
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    Try contacting your employer and finding out who represented them, and your employer's lawyer can probably look up to see who represented you.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 7/31/2013
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    You can do several things. 1. You can contact the insurance company directly. 2. You can contact the employer and request the contact information for the insurance company. 3. You can contact the Iowa Industrial Commission and obtain copies of the settlement documents. 4. You can hire a lawyer to do all of the above.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 7/31/2013
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A.
    Beaver Holt Sternlicht and Courie, P.A. | Mark A. Sternlicht
    The State Bar should have contact information for the attorney. Another possibility is to see if the Industrial Commission, which oversees workers' compensation claims, has a copy of the documents that you need.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 7/31/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney