How do I go about getting my boyfriend citizenship after we are married? 5 Answers as of October 09, 2013

I want to soon marry my boyfriend. He has been in this country illegally for almost 8 years now.

Mulder Law office, PA
Mulder Law office, PA | Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
You will need to file an Alien Relative Petition. Once approved he will file an I-485. He will then need a provisional waiver. The procedure is far to complicated for this post.
In the long run it would be easier if he left the country and you petitioned for a fiance visa. It would take about three or four months. Once he had the visa, he could legally come into the country marry you and almost immediately get his conditional green card. Otherwise it will be difficult and you may not be able to get it at all. Before you apply for the fiance visa, make sure he was never deported before and that he has no criminal record. If he does, you had better leave things as they are.
Kapoor Law Firm, PLLC
Kapoor Law Firm, PLLC | Shiv K. Kapoor
You would petition for an immigrant visa for him. However, for him to be able to adjust status to permanent resident, he must have entered the country legally. If he did not, then he would have to go back to his home country, but would face a 10 year bar from the US upon leaving. A waiver can be requested for hardship, but no guarantee on approval.
Law Office of Eric Fisher | Eric Fisher
If you are a US citizen or lawful permanent resident, you can file an I-130 petition after you are legally married. Whether or not your new husband can apply for lawful status depends upon many factors, so he should consult and immigration attorney.
The first step to U.S. citizenship is to apply for lawful permanent residence. Unfortunately, there is not enough information present to determine whether your boyfriend would be eligible to seek lawful permanent residence and how to best proceed.