How do I go about getting a divorce if my husband lives in another country? 6 Answers as of March 28, 2012

My husband and I were married in 2007 in New Mexico. I am a US citizen and live in the US , my husband is not a US citizen and lives in Mexico. We have 4 children together who he has nothing to do with. I want to get a divorce from him and need to know how to go about it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC
Law Offices of Alan R. Diamante, APLC | Alan R. Diamante
This is a question for a family law attorney. However, you can file a divorce in your state against someone that lives in another jurisdiction.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/28/2012
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
If he will sign a waiver of service it is simple. If so the divorce must be filed before he signs the papers. If he will not it is complicated and can be expensive. Seek legal help as my firm has just helped another client with the same problem and it has been complicated.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 3/26/2012
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC
Kuck Immigration Partners LLC | Charles Kuck
You just file for divorce by publication in Georgia. The process is quite easy.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/26/2012
Serbinin Law Firm LLC | Igor Serbinin
You need to file for dissolution in the county where you live (at least 3 months) and serve him (arrange for delivery of dissolution papers) personally in Mexico then file a return of service with Colorado court. If he agrees to be served or waive service then it will be easy dissolution without appearances of the party in 3 months (time required by court to enter permanent orders). If you disagree on conditions/child support/spousal support/division of property/debts then you need to either serve him/get waiver of service or convince the judge that service by publication is a fair service in your circumstances (service by notification in mass media/newspaper). Most likely you will need an attorney for this kind of work.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 3/23/2012
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
Best to hire an attorney to assist you with this matter. Your husband will need to be served in Mexico with a copy of the divorce or if he cannot be located (after diligent search) a notice of the divorce placed in your local newspaper for successive weeks with the court's permission.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 3/22/2012
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
    Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
    You should speak with a matrimonial attorney in the state where you live for more detailed information. However, in general, you can petition for a divorce. The issue you will face is serving him with the papers. Most courts require divorce papers to be served in person upon the party who is defendant.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/22/2012
Click to View More Answers: