How do I go about filing for bankruptcy? 25 Answers as of October 14, 2012

Mortgage, car payment and hours have been cut back.

Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
Bankruptcy is a very complicated process. It is wise to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding to take this important step. Most Arizona bankruptcy attorneys offer a free consultation about the basics of bankruptcy.
LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC
LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC | Margaret L. Evans
Question: How do I go about filing for bankruptcy? Question Detail: Mortgage, car payment and hours have been cut back. *- you need to see a SC lawyer who can determine if you qualify for a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13; the answer to that question will greatly depend on the specific facts of your particular case. *
That would require a small book to answer. Forms are available on court web sites, I suggest seeing a lawyer.
Bruning & Associates, PC
Bruning & Associates, PC | Kevin Bruning
You will need to file a petition for bankruptcy in the bankruptcy court in your district. You should do an initial consultation with an attorney to talk about your options and get a feel for how complex your case is, and whether you would be able to do it yourself or hire someone to help you.
Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC
Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC | Jared L. Haddock
It is a good to start by consulting with a qualified attorney. I and most other bankruptcy attorneys offer free initial consultations in which we can confirm your eligibility, determine whether or not bankruptcy is the right option for you, go over the entire process, etc.
    Law Office of Norman Moore
    Law Office of Norman Moore | Norman P Moore Jr
    The first thing you should do is contact a bankruptcy attorney (or a couple) and find someone you can work with.
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    Please call an attorney asap.
    The Law Offices of Beth B Carter, PLLC | Beth B Carter
    I would recommend that you meet with an experienced bankruptcy attorney and make arrangements to retain a reputable attorney to represent you through this process if you believe it is the best course of action for you. Many bankruptcy attorneys provide consultations at no charge. If you are opposed to this, on your local Federal Court website, there may be some general information for pro se petitioners, however, I would not recommend retaining counsel to protect your interests.
    Balena Law Firm
    Balena Law Firm | William Balena
    to file bankruptcy the first thing you need to do to schedule a consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney in your area. Generally the initial bankruptcy consultation is a brief, no charge appointment.
    Bordeaux Law, P.C.
    Bordeaux Law, P.C. | Clifford Bordeaux
    You should schedule to meet with an attorney to get more information. Most attorneys offer free consultations to prospective clients.
    The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
    I suggest you consult with a bankruptcy attorney to discuss the specific details of your situation.
    I always recommend beginning by completing pre-bankruptcy credit counselling so you can see for yourself whether things are really as bad as you think. Most of the time, people discover that they are worse off than they thought & that bankruptcy is inevitable. Another option would be to meet with a local bankruptcy attorney for a quick review of your financial circumstances. You won't want to file bankruptcy unless you truly have no other choice.
    William Bidwell, Attorney at Law | Bill Bidwell
    Some people do it on their own, but I recommend contacting an attorney for a no charge consultation. A bankruptcy will temporarily delay but not relieve you from making mortgage or car payments; it will relieve you from credit cards and other unsecured debt. You may qualify for a loan modification.
    LAW OFFICE OF JASMINE OHANIAN | JASMINE OHANIAN
    You can either do it yourself or pay an attorney to prepare the worksheets for you. Bankruptcy is for those who need a fresh start because they cannot continue paying their creditors. If you cannot afford an attorney you can buy bankruptcy books and/or go online and prepare the worksheets yourself. But if you have many creditors and other complicated issues, you should see a lawyer.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    You should consult with an attorney to discuss your options.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    There are many ways to do this, but your question is very broad based. By that I mean that you give no details, so very hard to respond to. Make an appointment with a bankruptcy specialist in your area and ask for a free consult.
    Law Offices of Terrell Monks
    Law Offices of Terrell Monks | Terrell Monks
    Our office provides a list of questions and list of documents that will be needed for your case. Those questions and documents will help you through the Petition and Schedules that are required for filing a case. The bankruptcy court also offers forms and advice on their website.
    The first step in filing for bankruptcy is to gather all of your financial records. Then you must complete the Consumer Credit Counseling Course with an accredited counseling agency. Once completed, you will need to fully complete the Petition, Schedules, Means Test, Statement of Interest and then file the documents with your local bankruptcy court. I provide a free no obligation 30 minute telephone consultation, which I encourage you to utilize to discuss any additional questions you might have.
    You can see an attorney or you can try to file on your own. If you file on your own you should go to the bankruptcy website and it will give you instructions.
    Bjork Law Office
    Bjork Law Office | Attorney John P. Bjork
    Look up a local attorney who works in bankruptcy. Call and make an initial consult appointment. Most bankruptcy attorney do the initial consult for free. Do not take advise from anyone who is not an attorney. Bad things can happen, and sometimes cannot be undone, with bad advise from non-lawyers.
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
    Schedule a consultation with a BK attorney. Most lawyers will give you a free consultation. You will need a lot of documents. List of relevant documents attached.
    You have to file the documents. Either you go and pick up the forms at the bankruptcy court or you can hire someone to file it for you.
    Chicago Debt Solutions / Trepeck Bane, P.C. | Julie Trepeck
    I would contact an attorney, as a knowledgeable bankruptcy attorney can guide you through the process and verity you qualify. It is always best to file a bankruptcy with an attorney.