How do I go about creating a derivative musical work legally? Posted on February 16, 2011

I want to remake/cover a copyrighted song. However, I only want to use its verses. I would like to record the verses over my own original music. I would also like to use some of my own lyrics, adding them with the copyrighted verses. The result I want to have is a song completely different from the copyrighted song, but I still want to use the copyrighted song's verses. Basically, I would like to create a derivative work. What licenses should I obtain? What steps do I need to take in order to obtain the correct license? Do I need a lawyer for transactional purposes? If not, is there a "correct way" or a good template document to use when requesting permission to use part of a copyrighted song?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: