How do I go about changing my immigration status for myself and my family? 2 Answers as of March 14, 2011

I came to the US to with my family, husband, and 3 daughters, to visit my grandmother. After seeing her in the hospital, I would like to stay here with my family to take care of her in her failing health. How do I go about changing my status for myself and my family.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
Your grandmother cannot petition for you as a family member, only parents, spouses, or adult children can do that. But if she sought to employ you as an unskilled housekeeper employee, that will mean a wait of several years. That would mean a future that would be difficult, as an illegal immigrant. However, you may come, alone, upon periodic stays as a tourist for six months at a time, which is renewable once, and after which you must return for at least six months. There are some who qualify through a TN-2 visa under NAFTA, but it is doubtful that you would. There may be options for your husband also, depending on your husband's occupation. If you wish to discuss the matter further, feel free to call or e-mail me for a consultation by phone or in person.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/14/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You may want to apply for advance parole. Depending on your grandmother's status, there may be other way. It is suggested that you have a sit-down consultation with a lawyer to go through your options.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 3/6/2011
Click to View More Answers: