How do I give my parent's temporary child custody without giving up my rights? 11 Answers as of November 23, 2011

I'm having behavioral problems with my 14 year old daughter. My mother and stepfather offered to let her come stay with them out of state for a minimum of 2 years. How do I go about this to ensure they have a right to enroll her in school, get any necessary medical, etc and still maintain my rights?

Bruning & Associates, PC
Bruning & Associates, PC | Kevin Bruning
It is possible to name your mother and stepfather as the guardian of your child. As Guardian, they would have the ability to enroll her in school, get necessary medical treatment, and you could seek to terminate the guardianship when the circumstances permit.
First, if there is a second parent with parenting time rights, they may be able to seek custody in the event you relinquish your rights to another. Second, you may assign Guardianship to your parents which would allow them to act in your stead as caregiver for the child.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
I would think that it would be possible. However, I would think that there would have to be at least two very carefully drafted documents. First, there would have to be a power of attorney granting your parents the right to do things like enroll the child in school and get her medical treatment. Second, there would have to be what would amount to a contract between you and them. It would have to deal very carefully with such issues as: What happens at the end of the agreement. Can the agreement be terminated early be either party. Is the child going to be integrated into the home of your parents. An agreement by all sides that the agreements is temporary only and that when it is terminated, the child comes back to you. These are just some of the points to consider.
Best to have a local attorney assist you with the matter and to prepare the temporary custody agreement rather than attempting to handle it on your own.
Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq.
Law Offices of Stephanie Lee Ehrbright, Esq. | Stephanie Lee Ehrbright
You can give them a limited power of attorney to do those things you listed.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    I would look into guardianship; it will accomplish what you want to accomplish and is also terminable at will by the parents.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    The best and easiest way is to give them guardianship of your daughter. This is done through the court system, but you are not giving up your parental rights.
    In Colorado you can give your parents a Power of Attorney delegating parental authority for up to one year. That will permit them to consent to medical treatment and most other things. Whether it is sufficient for enrollment in a school is a matter for the school to decide. It will have to be renewed at the end of one year and you can legally revoke it at any time. This would not be a relinquishment of "custody", so no court action would be required.