How do I get a vehicle title put in my name when I'm not on the loan? 4 Answers as of April 04, 2014

A friend signed a loan agreement for my vehicle because as a result of my divorce I have a foreclosure on my credit. Is there any way I can have the title put into my name while loan is still active:

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
Not unless you refinance the car.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/4/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
See an attorney with the title. Perhaps, but generally it would have to be refinanced by the new titleholder. It is certainly something you would want to do because there are significant liability issues for the person who is currently the owner and allowing you to drive the vehicle.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/4/2014
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
You and your friend need to contact the lender; you may be able to do this if you can prove you are making the payments. The title cannot be transferred without the cooperation of the lender.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 4/4/2014
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
Only with the lender's consent.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 4/4/2014
Click to View More Answers: