How do I get a tourist visa? 2 Answers as of April 14, 2011

My girlfriend is going to school and is not ready to come to the states permanently yet, she wants to visit in the meantime on a tourist visa, can I file the tourist visa for her knowing in the next 2 years I will marry her so she can live in the United States with me, or should I let my mom file the tourist visa for my girlfriend?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
Your girlfriend is allowed to apply for a tourist visa at the US consulate in her jurisdiction. If you go to my website, you can click on consulates to locate the correct one. All procedures and evidentiary requirements will be listed there. Your girlfriend will need to demonstrate strong ties to her home country and proof that she intends to leave the US on time as directed by the US government, in particular when visiting a US citizen fiancee. Many consulates are not comfortable giving a B-2 visa in that circumstance. It is however legal for her to visit you in the US, as your fiancee, as long as she leaves on time and ultimately applies for a green card via consular processing later. It is not advisable for your fiancee to lie about her reason for coming to the US- this is not legal and the consequences can impact her ability to enter or remain in the US at later dates!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/14/2011
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law
William C. Gosnell, Attorney at Law | William C. Gosnell
File for a Tourist visa then when she returns to her home country you can marry her and file an I-130 for a new visa for her.
Answer Applies to: Tennessee
Replied: 4/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: