How do I get a substitute counsel if I have been charged with a felony insurance fraud? 2 Answers as of March 06, 2017

I have been appointed a public defender who is trying to coerce me into accepting an offer from the DA which I feel is unfair. He then said I was childish and rushed me off the phone. In the beginning when he was appointed, he stated my charges were unfair and that the insurance companies are essentially committing legal extortion. My insurance had lapsed 1 month (I did try to pay the premium that day) so I was not covered during a minor accident my son was involved in. I paid the other parties insurance the full amount of the damage. Also, I did not file the claim. I am perhaps guilty of misrepresentation but not a felony. This case has prevented me from obtaining employment.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
No, you only get one public defender. It does not matter whether the charges are felonies or misdemeanors. If you are not happy with your present attorney, your only recourse is to hire a private attorney to represent you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/6/2017
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You need to cough up some money and hire yourself a "real" lawyer. You get what you pay for.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/3/2017
Click to View More Answers: