How do I get sole custody from an absent father? 1 Answers as of April 04, 2017

My son is about to be 3. His father was at the hospital to sign the birth certificate, although we never went to court to establish parental rights or custody. My son's father was in his life from birth to 5 months. He never paid child support, helped with 2 boxes of diapers and that was it. I haven't heard from him since. I want to get my son a passport but it requires both parent signatures. I don't have any contact information for him. No phone number, address, work. Can I file for sole custody?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
Yes,but you must exercise due diligence on trying to find ex to serve papers on him asking for sole legal and physical custody. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your options.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/4/2017
Click to View More Answers: