How do I get rid of a warrant for my arrest? 57 Answers as of August 20, 2012

I was looking for a job online and I was offered a driver job and was sent a check via FedEx. I was told to take it to the bank and cash it and send the rest of the money to a car company. It was a Chase bank check so I went to Chase to cash it and the cops ended up coming and saying it was a fake check. Now i am being charged with forgery. I have all of the emails and the package that was sent to me. I missed my court date because I never recieved a letter or anything in the mail. Just happened to look online and it said I had a warrant for my arrest for not showing up to court. I dont know what I should do from here?

Law office of Robert D. Scott | Robert Scott
Legal counsel in the jurisdiction of the warrant can advise you if you wish to surrender on the warrant.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
The rule is that to remove a warrant, you must appear in court in person. If you are out of state, sometimes you can hire a lawyer in the state where you are charged to represent you. However, the rule doesn't change. If the lawyer practices regularly in the court in question, he may be able to get you some consideration. If you live in the state where the warrant was issued, hire an attorney who is familiar with that court and let him advise you.
Larry K. Dunn & Associates | Larry K. Dunn
A person can defend against a criminal charge by presenting evidence at trial. Failing to appear for court is a separate charge regardless as to whether they are not guilty of the underlying offense. You should immediately consult with an attorney to handle the failure to appear as well as the check charge.
You should consider hiring an attorney to represent you and file to have the warrant dismissed.
Douglas M. Philpott, P.C. | Peter J. Philpott
You have to turn yourself into the court to take care of the warrant. You should hire an attonrey to argue bond so you won't be remanded to jail.
    First of all, if you were looking for a job on Craigslist and they told you to cash the check and Western Union half the money to someone out of state then you have fallen for a con game and you have committed a crime. Most people know that these schemes are around but young people can be greedy, desperate, naive, and foolish enough to be used by criminals who prey on them. If you were in court they would have told you the next court date. If you had a public defender he might not have taken the time to tell you to put it in your date book, tape it to your mirror, or tattoo it on your arm so that you could remember to make the next court appearance. That is your responsibility but good lawyers make sure their clients understand such basics and even call to remind them or send a letter. You are probably young and irresponsible right now, but you will have to learn to make better decisions and be more careful in the future because you will keep getting into trouble unless you get a good education, read more, find a good job, and know what is legal and what is illegal. This should have been something you asked your parents about.
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger
    Law Office of James A Schoenberger | James A Schoenberger
    Call the court and set a hearing to quash the warrant ASAP.
    To handle a warrant, you must turn yourself in to the issuing court, with or without an attorney, and try to negotiate a recall of the warrant[s] and try to negotiate bail reduction or OR release. You'll try to negotiate a plea bargain or take to trial the outstanding charge that caused the warrant. On felony charges, the defendant must be personally present at every court hearing and appearance. On misdemeanors and infractions, your attorney can appear in court without the defendant being present. Unless you're competent to effectively represent yourself in court against a professional prosecutor trying to put you in jail, most people hire an attorney who can. If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me.
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones
    The Law Office of B. Elaine Jones | B. Elaine Jones
    You will need to get an attorney to file a Motion to Recall the Warrant or you will have to turn yourself in to the jail and wait until they take you in front of the Judge you were originally scheduled to appear before. But that may be a couple of weeks and in the meantime you have to stay in jail. If your case is in the Tampa Bay area and you need an attorney to file that Motion for you and represent you in court, please contact me at the phone number or email address listed.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Be very, quiet!! Do not give a statement to anyone or talk about this matter.
    Hire a good lawyer first.
    Law Office of William L Spern | William Spern
    Talk to your lawyer or get one now!
    Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
    You need to get a lawyer now. The lawyer should be able to get you back into court, hopefully before the police show up at your house. Keep all of the e-mails and the package. If something looks too good to be believed it probably is not real.
    Grant & Grant
    Grant & Grant | Richard L. Grant, Esq.
    Need to immediately hire an attorney who regularly appears in the court that your case is filed. Your attorney can have the warrant recalled and arrange your bail, enter your plea, and commencing proper discovery and preparing your defense to best represent you in negotiating your matter with the District Attorney and if necessary in your trial.
    Get ahold of an attorney. Walk into the court with that person and deal with the matter. Otherwise it will never go away.
    Yurn yourself into the court, and explain what you wrote in this inquiry. I would suggest hiring counsel to accompany you to court. Consult with the lawyer as to the merits of the prosecution's case, as he can move for and get the prosecution's evidence, referred to as discovery, and discuss your options.
    Jennifer L. Gottschalk, Esq. | Jennifer Gottschalk
    Surrender to the court, post the bail, and get help defending the charge against you by hiring a lawyer.
    Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
    I recommend hiring private counsel to go into court for you to quash the bench warrant for your failure to appear in court. You might not even have to go to Court to quash the warrant if your attorney goes on your behalf. If you don't hire an attorney, you'll have to file the necessary paperwork on your own and appear on your own to quash the warrant. We offer free consultations and affordable payment plans. Good luck.
    You should arrange to surrender. You were the victim of a well-known scam.
    Law Office of Ginger D. Adair
    Law Office of Ginger D. Adair | Ginger D. Adair
    You will need to get your warrant cleared. You will need to contact a bondsman to set up a turn-in at the jail. Sometimes they can handle the matter on with a "walk-through," wherein you are booked in and then released with a return court date. If it's a felony warrant, you may be required to stay in jail until you are arraigned by the judge and given a court date.
    Amber Lunsford, Attorney at Law | Amber Lunsford
    The first thing you should do is hire a criminal defense attorney in your area. They can request to put you on calendar and have the warrant recalled. You must show up to that court date. You should speak to the attorney in a private and confidential setting about the facts in your case, as you remember them and bring whatever documentation you have to your meeting. Many attorneys offer free initial consultations, as I do. You should meet with a number of attorneys until you find someone you are comfortable working with and who you feel that you can trust. Online forums such as these are great for asking some questions, but details should always be left for confidential meetings. Remember that prosecutors have online access and may use statements made by you online (yes, even on twitter, facebook, or myspace) against you. If you cannot afford an attorney, one will be appointed by the court to you. Contact your local public defender's office to find out if they can get you on calendar or if you need to call the court clerk and do it yourself. Bring all documentation with you, as you may have the public defender appointed and meet with him or her that day.
    James M. Osak, P.C.
    James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
    Nothing. Hire an attorney and let him take care of this.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C.
    Law Office of Michael Morgan, l.L.C. | Michael Morgan
    Different courts have different procedures for getting a warrant quashedso contact the clerk of the court in which your warrant was issued and ask for their warrant quashing procedure and then follow the procedure or post the bail associated with the warrant.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    Hire an attorney, who can make the initial appearance in court and explain your situation. That should get the warrant removed, and then your attorney can work on defending in you on the forgery charge.
    Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
    First, turn yourself in on the FTA warrant. Otherwise, you'll be looking over your shoulder wondering when you're going to be arrested. Then bond out. You are the victim of a scam that's usually perpetrated through Craig's List, although I've seen some through direct mail. I have two clients who were victims of these schemes, and both have been convicted of possession of a forged instrument. If this is a first offense, you will probably get probation, but you will be required to pay back the money. Sorry.
    Buchholdt Law Offices | Jon M. Buchholdt
    I would call the prosecutor and explain and follow his instructions.
    Answer Applies to: Alaska
    Pietryga Law Office | Russ Pietryga
    Couple of ways. First, you could hire an attorney and have them file a "Motion to Recall the Warrant & Set Matter for Pretrial. Second, you could call the court and ask when you can walk in and talk to the judge.
    Get an attorney and let the attorney explain the circumstances as to why you missed the court date and reset it. Then, provide the attorney with the information necessary to defend you.
    Get a lawyer to appear and have the warrant quashed. Then fight the ticket with the proof you have.
    Hire a lawyer, who can appear without you to court to recall the warrant. Only then can the underlying case be dealt with. If you show up to court by yourself the Judge can easily take you in for the warrant.
    Darrell B. Reynolds, P.C. | Darrell B. Reynolds
    You need to get a lawyer to represent you.
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
    Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
    You will likely need to turn yourself in, be taken before a court and explain why you missed the court date. You can contest the underlying charge but only after the warrant issue is dealt with.
    Clos, Russell & Wirth, P.C. | Gary A. Russell
    Hire counsel. The charge you are facing is either a 5 year or 14 year felony. The warrant means that you can be arrested at any time for failing to appear in court.
    You would have to turn yourself in on the warrant and wait to be called up to the court for a baae bail hearing or you may retain counsel and your attorney may speak to the prosecutor to determine if the warrant can be stayed pending a new court date.
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law
    Mark Thiessen, Attorney at Law | Mark Thiessen
    You need to first call a bail bondsman and pay off the warrant. Then hire an attorney to fight it. Do not say anything to the police if questioned. Just keep asking for your lawyer.
    Dennis P. Mikko Attorney at Law | Dennis P. Mikko
    Contact an attorney who can assist you in turning yourself in and working to resolve the mattter.
    Frank M Mungo, Attorney at Law
    Frank M Mungo, Attorney at Law | Frank Mungo
    I'm very sorry that this happened to you. In Kentucky, the lawyer will contact the court and ask to withdraw the warrant. Usually, because a lawyer is involved, the court will issue a summons for a new court date. At that new court date, you would be arraigned on the forgery charges, which means you would enter a plea of not guilty. At arraignment the court would tell you the maximum penalty and fine range and give you a pretrial date.
    Answer Applies to: Kentucky
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine
    Law Firm of Martin & Wallentine | Jerry Lee Wallentine Jr.
    You may be able to hire an attorney to go to court and quash your warrant. As an officer of the court, I inform my clients to turn themselves in when their is a warrant for their arrest.
    Law Offices of Mark L. Smith
    Law Offices of Mark L. Smith | Mark L. Smith
    You must fo to court to have the warrant removed. Just explain the mixup and the court should remove the warrant and give you another court date.
    Law Office of Christopher G Humphrey PC | Christopher G Humphrey
    Call the court and request a setting.
    Answer Applies to: Wyoming
    Contact the court and schedule a hearing date. You must make an appearance for the warrant to be dismissed.
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    You need to file a motion to quash the warrant and have you or your attorney appear in Court to explain why you missed it.
    MatthewR. Schutz, Esq | Matthew R. Schutz
    Contact an attorney. The attorney should be able to arrange for the discharge of the warrant a new court date and present your defense.
    Law Office of Howard A. Snader
    Law Office of Howard A. Snader | Howard Snader
    I would recommend you retain counsel to arrange for a self surrender to the court. You either need to go to the court that issued the warrant and self surrender, or go to police and self surrender. Until you appear before a judge, the warrant will remain active. If you go to the police first, they will arrest you and take you to court within 24 hours of your arrest. If you go to the court, they may handle the matter while you are there. Or, they may call the sheriff's to arrest you and begin the process. You best chance at remaining out of custody is to retain counsel.
    Hire an attorney, get the warrant recalled and quashed, and deal with the charges. This has to very handled at court. And the sooner you deal with the warrant the better.
    Leonard A. Kaanta, P.C. | Leonard A. Kaanta
    Get an attorney and arrange to turn yourself in.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    File a motion to recall the warrant or surrender. If you surrender, you should find out whether you may post bail, and if so, how much it is, so that you make the appropriate arrangements ahead of time.
    Your best option is to consult with an attorney. You may have a defense to the charge.
    Law Office of Charles J. Block
    Law Office of Charles J. Block | Charles J. Block
    Turn yourself in to the Court.
    Law Office of Peacock & Le Beau | Jeffery O. Le Beau
    You need to appear in court as soon as possible to have the warrant recalled. If you go in on your own it will be much better then if you get arrested on the warrant. It is also better if you go in with an attorney. If the court sees that you have spent money on representation it is more likely they will assume that your planning on showing up in the future and allow you to stay out of jail while your case proceeds. Once the warrant is recalled and the case is back on track then the evidence of your innocence can be presented to the prosecutor.
    Not to be rude but you have two rather obvious choies. The first and worst is to continue as you are until arrested. The second, is to go to the court where you missed the appearance and schedule a court appearance and keep. The last option tends to improve your odds of remaining out of custody. If you can afford one, hire counsel. If you cannot affordcunsel, ask the court to appoint one when you appear.
    Myles Hahn III Attorney at Law | Myles Hahn III
    Probably the first item to resolve is to appear in court and request to have the warrant recalled.
    Ellman and Ellman PC
    Ellman and Ellman PC | Kevin Ellmann
    Since it is a Felony, you need an attorney. Your attorney can assist with quashing the warrant and/or arranging for a surrender and then handle the case for you. Good luck!
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Hire an attorney and do not post any factual information on the internet.
    Arneson and Geffen
    Arneson and Geffen | Mark Arneson
    1.Contact a bail bondsman to find out if you can post bail on the warrant. Keep in mind that there could be a body only warrant where you can't post bail. 2. Contact an attorney to try and have the warrant quashed by the judge and secure your next court appearance.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    Hire a lawyer and deal with the warrant and the lawyer. If you don't and they pick you up it will be harder to convince a judge to release you on your own recognizance.
    Law Offices of Steven J. Pisani
    Law Offices of Steven J. Pisani | Steven Pisani
    Sounds like you would need an attorney to help you out of this mess. A current active warrant could have a host of consequences and a delay in addressing the issue could anger the judge ultimately hearing your case. Contact a reputable Criminal Defense Attorney to help you get this taken care of.
12 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney