How do I get rid of felony convictions after twenty years? 5 Answers as of December 30, 2011

How does one get felony convictions removed from their record as some are 20 years old and some show up that have never I have never been convicted of that are 20 years old.

In NY it is very difficult to get felony convictions expunged, but you should hire an attorney to try.
Lutwin & Lutwin, LLP | Joel M. Lutwin
They do not come off- but you can get a certificate of relief from any civil disabilities they can cause.
Raiser & Kenniff, PC
Raiser & Kenniff, PC | Steve Raiser
If there is a mistake on your record, that can be removed. However, any legitimate convictions can never be expunged. You can however apply for a "Relief from Civil Disabilities." While this does not remove the conviction it does remove some of the legal consequences of having been convicted of a felony. It also serves as proof of your rehabilitation.
New York State does not have an expungement statute. Once you have a conviction it must be vacated by a 440.10 motion if it was illegal or improper in some way. That is a motion that is rarely granted. You can always start your own small business.
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
New York does not allow for expungement of criminal records except as part of rare drug treatment pleas. I suggest you join one of the many petitions online to get the legislators to pass this much needed law.