How do I get rid of a Chapter 13 dismissed case? 5 Answers as of July 11, 2017

I had a Chapter 13 filed in 2009, but it was dismissed two weeks later. Eight years have gone by and two of the three credit reporting agencies have deleted this, but Equifax is giving me a hard time. Equifax is telling me to get an expungement letter. Is this possible?

By law it stays on your record for 10 years.
OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
No, it is not possible. You can't expunge something you did. Ask Equifax why this is remaining on your credit for more than the normal 7 years. Chapter 13s typically only stay on credit for 7 years. Maybe they show it as a chapter 7 which stays on your credit for 10 years.
No, expungement is a document provided in criminal cases to seal a file. No such think for bankruptcy. Guess Equifax wanted to send you on a wild goose chase.
This is the first I have heard in 33 years of doing bankruptcy work of a demand for an 'expungement letter.' You might contact your Ch. 13 Trustee and request a letter stating that your case was dismissed after two weeks. If you do nothing, the item should be removed from your credit reports in ten years from the date you filed your petition.
Charles Schneider, P.C.
Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
No.