How do I get retail theft off my record? Posted on July 05, 2011

In 2007 I was fired from my job for stealing. I worked at a small drug store that was bought out by Rite Aid. A woman used to come in all the time and buy make up. She'd always want a lot when it was on sale so we would always have to write her rain checks. We'd take a flyer, cut out the ad and stable it to a piece of paper with the amount she wanted on them. When she came in to buy them, if it was a buy on free deal, we'd scan the one item at full price and just put the other one in the bag. That was how everyone did it, that's how I was told to do it. About a week after being bought out by Rite Aid, the lost prevention manager called me into the office. She told me that what I was doing was called "sweethearting" and it was not in policy with Rite Aid. It was considered theft to them. So she said I could sign a paper and write out a confession saying I did it and I wouldn't be fired. If I didn't, then I would go to jail. So I signed it. It didn't seem like a big deal to me. I wasn't stealing anything; I was just doing things the way I knew how to do it. A week after that, I was fired from the company. I didn't think it'd be on my record so I got a job elsewhere and I've been working for the last 4 years with no problem. I recently applied for a job and they did a background check on me and it's on my record. Retail theft of $300. How do I get this off my record? I never stole anything and it didn't go through court or anything.