How do I get a protection order dropped or dismissed? 8 Answers as of March 12, 2013

I have a protection order against me which I can't have any contact with that person. The judge didn't request it, it was a group called "cares." I and the person involved want desperately to have this dropped and work things out! How do we go about it?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
You have to file a motion to have the order dismissed and notify the other side and then the judge will decide the matter.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/12/2013
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Retain an attorney, who can file motions to have the case returned to court.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/7/2013
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
You should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances to see the best way to proceed. Probably you and your attorney should talk to the prosecuting attorney to try to convince him to drop the charges.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/6/2013
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You need to appear before the court and make the request.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/6/2013
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
The other party would have to go to the Clerk of Court and file a motion before the court requesting a dismissal of the prior order of court. It would be up to the judge to grant or deny your motion.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/6/2013
    Law Offices of Jonathan Mincis | Jonathan J. Mincis, Esq.,
    That person needs to appear in Court and tell the Judge that they want the Complaint dismissed. They need to say that no one forced them or coersed them and they do not feel threatened. The Court may consider dismissing it if this is a civil restraining order.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 3/6/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    File a motion to vacate.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 3/6/2013
    Attorney at Law | Michael P. Vollandt
    Have the protected person go to court and ask the Judge to mismiss the protective order.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/6/2013
Click to View More Answers: