How do I get a possession of marijuana charge off my record? 3 Answers as of July 31, 2010

I was busted for possessing a pretty small amount of marijuana in the Inland Empire area of California. Do I need a lawyer to help get it off my record? I think it's hurting me when I apply to jobs.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Nelson & Lawless
Nelson & Lawless | Terry Nelson
Your misdemeanor qualifies for expungement as long as you meet the other requirements.

The general rules are:

Many felony and misdemeanor convictions [not infractions] can sometimes be 'expunged' by proper application and Petition to the court, but only if there was no prison time served or even sentenced, if it was not for certain sex and Domestic Violence crimes, if all terms of sentencing and probation [and at least one year of probation] are completed and finished, and if there are no new charges pending. If successful, the conviction would be retroactively withdrawn and the charges dismissed. That does not 'remove' the conviction, but merely changes the record to show 'conviction reversed and dismissed by expungement'. If expunged, you would be able to say 'no' to conviction on most private employment applications. However, the conviction is still a 'prior' for purposes of repeat offense, and must be disclosed on any application for government and professional licensing, bonding, security clearance, etc. The agency and employer then can decide whether you are barred from employment because of your conviction.

If you’re serious about doing so, and you think you qualify, feel free to contact me for the legal help you'll need.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/30/2010
Prometheus: A Social Justice Law Firm
Prometheus: A Social Justice Law Firm | Aly Ebrahimzadeh
You can try to expunge it from your record, and I do handle such matters. Please feel free to contact me.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/30/2010
Click to View More Answers: