How do I get a patent? 2 Answers as of April 24, 2011

How do I get a patent for an idea for a business?

Michael M. Ahmadshahi
Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
A patent is obtained by filing a patent application at the United States Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO) and paying the filing fee. The application is a written document which describes in details what the invention. Patent applications are complex documents and as such you should contact either a patent attorney or patent agent, the latter is considerably less expensive than the former.
DANIEL NESBITT
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
A patent is issued to an inventor or inventors of an invention that is novel, non-obvious, has utility, and is described in a patent application in a matter required by the patent law. The written application for patent must be presented to the US Patent Office, along with the applicable government fees. Upon examination by the US Patent Office, if the application that meets the above requirements is determined to be allowable, a patent will granted after payment of the issuance fees. An inventor can prepare and file a patent application on his/her own (pro se), or can retain such services by hiring a registered patent attorney or patent agent.