How do I get a patent for developing a proprietary product? 5 Answers as of August 22, 2011

We are developing a proprietary product and planning to register the patent in the U.S. some time soon. We would like to know if you provide this type of service and if so, how much does it cost. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
We do provide that type of service and the cost will depend on the amount of work necessary to obtain a patent, which can vary based upon the type of patent and complexity of the patent. I would encourage you to contact an attorney to discuss your concerns and the specifics of your invention.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 8/22/2011
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
Yes we do - however there are some short statutory time frames for filing a patent in the US that must be adhered to. Basically 12 months from the time you filed for your patent overseas or had your first public disclosure, sale or offer to sell.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 8/18/2011
Law Office of Thomas Williamson
Law Office of Thomas Williamson | Thomas Williamson
We would be happy to assist you. Our fees are as follows: Utility Patent - protects structure and/or function of a useful device, process, machine or composition of matter. The first step that we recommend is a patent search with a patentability opinion to see if the invention has been done before and what else is similar. The search with opinion takes two to three weeks, and our fee is typically between $1,150.00 and $1,800.00. If the invention is for computer, electronic, chemical, or for business method inventions, it could be higher than this range, up to $3,000.00. The search is optional, but recommended. Assuming that the invention is patentable and that you wish to proceed, the next step is preparation and filing of a patent application. This takes about four weeks and typically costs between $4,700.00 and $7,700.00, depending on simplicity/complexity. Again, computer, electronic, chemical and business methods could be higher, up to $15,000.00. There is a filing fee of $462.00 to the Patent Office. The day we file the application you will enter PATENT PENDING status. Lastly, most patents require patent drawings, which we contract out to a draftsman at $100.00 per page. Most applications will have about three pages of drawings. Design Patent - protects only the ornamental aspects (appearance) of a useful device. Flat rate is $1,700.00 which includes all drawings for a single embodiment. In addition there is a filing fee of $230.00.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 8/18/2011
DANIEL NESBITT | Hasse & Nesbitt
Patents in the US are applied for and examined, not simply "registered". The costs for a granted patent can include costs: for researching the patentability of an invention ( includes a prior art search); for preparing the patent specification, including drawings as needed; for filing the patent application with the US Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO); for responding to any office action by the USPTO examiner in the course of examining the patentability of the application, which are typically incurred 1-3 years after the patent application has been filed; and for payment of the grant fees, if the patent application is allowed. The preparation of a patent application will range from $3000 to $15,000, depending on the specifics of the invention, the proximity of the prior art, and the extent of details of the invention available to the inventor.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 8/18/2011
The Law Offices of Mark Trenner
The Law Offices of Mark Trenner | Mark Trenner
Prices range the gamut, and also depend whether you want a provisional patent application or regular utility patent application. Design patent applications are also a possibility. Please call a patent attorney before too long to avoid running into the so-called "bar date" in which you can actually lose rights to your invention by not filing in time.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 8/17/2011
Click to View More Answers: