How do I get a name change? Posted on February 24, 2011

I was born as a legal US citizen with the name Richard( birth certificate +SS card) however since I was a child I have always been called Rick. For 42Years now! It is because my dad's name was Richard; as you see. No one ever calls me Richard, however some of my more important legal forms (i.e. Social Security) still say "Richard" and I want to change everything to RICK. Its just annoying and personally I hate it. Is there an easy, very cost effective(possibly free), legal alternative to changing my name. Since 'Rick' has and always been a common use of the name Richard; in this instance; more like a substitution. Is it really a name change if it is a "form" of Richard? BTW : If any relevance, I was born in Pennsylvania but now live in CA. Thank you kindly!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Click to View More Answers: