How do I get my treatment paid for if the injury happened at work? 15 Answers as of November 08, 2011

My job has scabies for the second time in 5 months and did not properly treat it. Now my family and I are infected. How do I get my home treatment paid for? I have pain and suffering and I am not wanting to go back to work for fear of getting reinfected.

Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
You should contact a workers compensation (WC) attorney to give you advice. In general, while you are subject to the WC law, your family would not be and they may have a claim.
Frankly never heard of a scabies outbreak at work, but if you were injured (infected?) in the course and scope of your work it will likely be taken care of by worker comp insurance. Contact the NC Industrial Commission in Raleigh and report the matter. You deal with your fear if you deal with it at all with proper medical care. You are not likely to be paid not to go to work because of fear. I don't think that kind of thing will fly. Find another job.
McKell Christiansen
McKell Christiansen | Michael McKell
You need to bring a worker's compensation claim and your treatment should be covered.
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
Consult with a plaintiff's personal injury or worker's compensation attorney for specific legal advice and direction.
File a Worker's Comp claim. Your employer is required to post information as to who the comp carrier is, you fill out the claim form and they pay your medical bills. As for the work environment cleaning up, that may take care of itself as your employer does not want you nor other employees to lose time from work, or pay higher premiums due to comp claims, the comp carrier might put some heat on the employer to clean up its act, or you could ask the local or state dept of health or OSHA to do an investigation.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
    Almost all injuries from the workplace are compensated only by the Department of Labor and Industries. RCW 51, You can start a claim on their website
    You exclusive remedy is Workers Compensation but your family can sue.
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    Work-related injuries are covered by workers compensation. If your employer won't allow you to make a claim talk with a workers comp attorney.
    Buff & Chronister, LLC.
    Buff & Chronister, LLC. | Curtis L. Chronister Jr.
    You should file a workers compensation claim with your employer and seek a workers compensation attorney. Your family may need a personal injury attorney. If, your employer is found negligent and breach some form of standard of care to ensure this type of infection did not arise, then your family may have a personal injury claim. You have a 12 month statute of limitations to bring a workers compensation claim and 2 year statute of limitations on personal injury claims.
    Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C.
    Law Offices of Kenneth Wincorn P.C. | Kenneth Wincorn
    There are several causes of action possible. You have a workman's compensation claim. The family may have a negligence claim.
    Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP
    Dwyer, Black & Lyle, LLP | Kevin Habberfield
    Make a worker's compensation claim. Ask your employer for the forms.
    Paris Blank LLP
    Paris Blank LLP | Irving M Blank
    You should file for workers compensation benefits.
    Wooten, Kimbrough & Normand, P.A.
    Wooten, Kimbrough & Normand, P.A. | Orman Kimbrough, Esq.
    You and your family may have a claim that can be pursued against your employer. You should speak to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible who can review all of the particular facts of your case and give you specific advice and options.