How do I get my papers on my grandson? 9 Answers as of December 20, 2013

Mother is deceased and father is in the Navy. Who do I go to get help for my grandson?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
You don't say where the child is living. If he's living with you, you can file a third party custody acknowledging that the father may be fit but is absent for long periods of time (I assume he's deployed) and establishing an appropriate parenting plan until he's done with the navy. If the child is living with the father and the father is not currently deployed, then as grandparents you have no inherent rights.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 12/20/2013
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C.
J. Barbour Rixey, P.C. | J. Barbour Rixey
If the child lives with you then file a petition for custody. Once you have custody then the father can be ordered to pay child support.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 12/20/2013
Attorney at Law
Attorney at Law | Frances An
You can go to the Probate Court and ask for a Guardianship. Father should not fight you, since he is obviously not able to care for his son long distance.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/20/2013
Provda Law Firm
Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
Soeak with an attorney about temporary guardianship.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/18/2013
Strowbridge Blaisdel Richardson | Strowbridge Richardson
Is the father agreeable to you having custody of the child? If so have the paperwork drafted and take it to Family Court or Guardianship Court. Check on your Courts policies.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/18/2013
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    First, what does dad say? He has the right to custody. If he is on a ship and not married, then I would imagine that he would like to give a power of attorney to take care of his child to somebody, either you or his parents. So, first contact him and find out what he wants. If he doesn't want to be bothered, then file for guardianship of your grandson and let dad worry about it when he gets hit with the child support order.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 12/18/2013
    Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP
    Milligan, Beswick, Levine, & Knox LLP | Stephen P Levine
    Where is he now? You can file a Guardianship proceeding if you want to take care of him
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/18/2013
    Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
    Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
    I think it would be best to consult an attorney. It is not clear by your question what you mean by "papers on my grandson". If you are wanting visitation rights, that can be established pursuant to statute. If you are wanting to actually assume custody of your grandson or guardianship of him (i.e. the Father is unable to care for him because he is in the Navy), then you have different options.
    Answer Applies to: Arizona
    Replied: 12/18/2013
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
    Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
    If I'm interpreting your question correctly, you're asking if you can have custody of your grandson. If this is correct, you should be filing and serving a petition for guardianship on the surviving father. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your legal options.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/18/2013
Click to View More Answers: