How do I get my name on my daughter's birth certificate? 6 Answers as of June 17, 2013

How can I get my name on my daughter's birth certificate? Her mother and I are not married and I was there when she was born, but not when the birth certificate was filed. We are enrolling her in Kindergarten and I just found out my name isn't on the birth certificate. Her mom and I are on fairly good terms and I see my daughter at least twice a week. I pay for her preschool, clothes and needs. What do I need to do to be named legally as her father?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
John Russo | John Russo
If the mother agrees just go to the department of vital statistics together and fill out the needed paper work, if she does not then you will need to file a petition with the family court, in your case it sounds like you both are flying without a kite, i.e. no court orders relevant to this child, you need to file to establish custody, placement, visitation, and support, and as part of that partition file a prayer that your name be placed on the birth certificate, then you can take the court order to vital stats.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 6/17/2013
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
You would need to file a legitimization petition in the county where the mother resides. This is the only way to become the legal father of the child and get court ordered visitation. The court would also issue a child support order as a part of that case. Unless and until you legitimate the child, you have no rights at all.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/17/2013
Kunin &Carman | Ishi Kunin
The best way is to get the form from the vital statistics office called Declaration of Paternity. Both you and the mom sign, and then you send it to the Vital Stats office for an amended birth certificate to be issued. If she will not cooperate, you need to file a Petition for Paternity with the Court.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/17/2013
Ronald Main & Associates | Tracian M. Laignel
You will want to contact the Department of Vital Statistics of Oklahoma. They can tell you which forms you need to fill out to amend your child's birth certificate.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 6/17/2013
Law Offices of Marshall R. Hoekel, LLC | Marshall Hoekel
You need to file a paternity case in the County where the child lives. You can call me if you would like to discuss how to do that.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 6/17/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    I would suggest that you engage an attorney and seek to have an adjudication that you are the parent. This will solidify both your parental rights to visitation and input regarding account, as well as your obligation to support your child.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/17/2013
Click to View More Answers: