How do I get my name off the title of my second car I didn’t carry through bankruptcy? 12 Answers as of January 10, 2014

I just filed bankruptcy and it was discharged this week. My question is I had signed for a car with my ex. I did not carry the car through bankruptcy but now how so I get my name off the title since my ex isn't refinancing the car but still making payments.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law
David R. Fondren, Attorney at Law | David R. Fondren
You have to do that through the DMV which is Mo DOR
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 1/10/2014
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
That has to be done at the DMV. I'm not sure if there is way to get your name off the title without his cooperation. Check with the DMV.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/20/2013
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
Sign the existing title to her and have motor vehicles issue a new title.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 12/20/2013
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
To get your name off of the title, which is different than the loan, you would sign a bill of sale and deliver to your ex.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 12/20/2013
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
To simply get your name off the title, you simply could sign the title over to her on the title itself. To get off the debt, you may want to consult your bankruptcy lawyer regarding adding them as a creditor(safest route).
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 12/20/2013
    A Fresh Start
    A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
    You can't take your name off the title to a vehicle without physical possession of the title. Since the lender has possession of the tile, all you can do is sign a bill of sale indicating that you transffered your interest. But that may not accomplish the goal you have in mind.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 12/20/2013
    OlsenDaines | Rex Daines
    You can't unless his lender will cooperate with you. Typically, you have to wait until he pays it off, then when they send him the title, you can sign off and he can take it to the DMV to get the title only in his name. Car lenders do not want to resubmit stuff to the DMV later on as it has no benefit to them.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 12/18/2013
    Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
    When you file bankruptcy there is no option to "not carry" a debt through the bankruptcy with you. You signed all sorts of papers under penalty of perjury stating that you disclosed ALL of your debts. What you SHOULD have done was to list the second car both as an asset and as a debt, and then surrender your interest in the car to both the lender and your ex. Those statements under penalty of perjury are not to be taken lightly. In Colorado, an unlisted debt is generally included in a discharge unless the creditor would have had reason to object to dischargeability. If your divorce decree awarded the car to your ex then you are probably okay. The safest thing is to make sure that your ex follows through and gets a refinance done.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 12/18/2013
    Goldsmith & Guymon
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Bankruptcy does not remove your name from title. However you have discharged any liability relative to the car.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 12/18/2013
    Heineman Law Office
    Heineman Law Office | Jeff Heineman
    If I am understanding the question, you are either on the title and/or the loan to a vehicle but you did not list it in your bankruptcy. If these circumstances are true then you have violated the bankruptcy code by not listing all your creditors and all your assets. You should talk to your attorney about possibly reopening your bankruptcy to correct the problem. You should not attempt to remove your name from the title until you correct the first problem.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 12/18/2013
    Law Office of Shawn N. Wright | Shawn N. Wright
    Okay, let me get the facts straight. I don't understand exactly what you mean when you say that you "did not carry the car through bankruptcy". I presume that you mean that you did in fact properly list the car loan as a debt on your bankruptcy paperwork, but that you did not reaffirm the car loan. If your ex-spouse is continuing to pay on the car loan, the car lender has the title, so there isn't much that you can do to get your name off the title. Your ex doesn't have the title; the bank does. The important thing is that this debt is discharged (wiped out), and you don't have any personal liability for it. Moreover, it won't (or at least shouldn't) show up on your credit report as an active debt. So, I don't see any problem here if those are the facts.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 12/18/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney