How do I get my name legally changed? 2 Answers as of July 18, 2011

I am interested in changing my first name. I have used a variation of my legal given name informally for years, but would now like to be able to change legal documents (SS, tax returns, etc.). From what I've read, this process is through Probate Court (?), and there are a couple of downloadable forms that need to be submitted. Is it preferable to go through this process with an attorney, or is this something I can do on my own (I have absolutely NO experience with courts/legal matters). Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
This is a very simple process. You can download the forms from the Probate Law area of the Forms link from the Judicial website. You can also just go down to the probate court for your town and pick them up. The process is relatively quick and relatively painless and the cost of doing it yourself is just the probate court fee. Best of luck!
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 7/18/2011
Cody and Gonillo, LLP
Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
you can always try by yourself - it should not be very complicated The information contained in this email may be confidential and/or legally privileged. It has been sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If the reader of this message is not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.
Answer Applies to: Connecticut
Replied: 7/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: