How do I get my mom's belongings returned from my niece? 15 Answers as of July 31, 2013

My mother is in a nursing home and her belongings were taken to my sister's home when my sister died. My mom wants her pictures and other items back because my sister's daughter is the one who took everything. This person refuses to return the items. How do I go about legally to getting the items back?

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
You can file a civil lawsuit for claim and delivery.
Law Office of Thomas C. Phipps | Thomas C Phipps
You will have to file a repletion lawsuit.
Law Office of Pamela Braynon | Pamela Y. Braynon
Call the police with evidence that your mother owns the items.
Petition a court to grant you, on behalf of your mother, restitution of your mother's belongings. You will need to provide a fairly specific list of what items are hers.
First find out why she refuses to return the items. Offer to remove the items in a way ost convenient for her. Then tell her why she is wrong and say if she does not return the items you will have to sue her. The problem is that in Small Claims Court you can get only money damages and not return of the items, which probably also have a very low value.
    Frederick & Frederick PLC | James P Frederick
    If your mom has capacity, SHE can request the items back. If she does not, hopefully, she gave you a Power of Attorney. If so, you can request the items back. If your niece refuses, you will need to take her to court, though. If there is no POA, then you would need to go to court to be appointed your mom's guardian/conservator.
    Thompson Ostler & Olsen dba Franchise Business Law Group | Brooke Ashton
    If your niece is refusing to return your mother's property to her, this is an act of conversion. You should speak to an attorney about the possible options your mother has to recover her property.
    James Law Group
    James Law Group | Christine James
    You are in a tough situation. You will need to hire an attorney to write a letter. If it is financially feasible you can file a lawsuit.
    Law Office of Edward M. Burgh, APC | Edward M. Burgh
    Hire an Attorney.
    You, or more correctly your mother, needs to bring an action, if necessary, for the return of her property.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
    Get a power of attorney from your mom and sue your sister's daughter for conversion of her personal property.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    How ugly do you want this to get? Have mom send niece a letter, "please return my things, my (son, daughter) will pick them up." If she refuses, go to the police. Stealing is still stealing, even if you steal from someone who is old.
    Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law
    Martin Barnes - Attorney at Law | Martin Barnes
    I must assume from your question that your mother did not give the items to your sister, and that your mother asserts that the items belong to her. Also, that your mother has requested the return of the items and her granddaughter refuses to return them to her. If all of these assumptions are correct then (while there are some civil alternatives available to your mother) I would advise your mother to begin by reporting the items as stolen to the police. If you or someone else has already been granted power of attorney, or is a court appointed guardian of your mother, then you may be able to assert your mother's rights on her behalf.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C.
    Kokish & Goldmanis, P.C. | Bernard H. Greenberg
    You can file a claim with the Court to force the return of your mother's items.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Dara Goldsmith
    She may need to sue her in small claims court.