How do I get my ex-husband's name off the title? 2 Answers as of May 19, 2016

I am divorced. My ex-husband owes back child support and now there is a $32,000 lien on my house. Ex does not pay me any support at all, but his name is on the title. What do I do to get him off the title?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Shimberg and Crohn, P.C. | Jonathan Shimberg
That may not get rid of the lien. It depends on what your judgment says about the title to the house. You really need to discuss this issue with an attorney familiar with both divorce and real estate law.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/19/2016
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd.
Ashcraft & Ashcraft, Ltd. | Randall C. Romei
The Property Settlement that was part of the Dissolution of Marriage should have dealt with the ownership of the house after the marriage was dissolved. You can enforce those terms. Your ex-husband must sign a deed that transfers the property to you. If the property settlement requires your husband to sign the deed and he refuses the Judge in the divorce court can be asked to hold in in contempt for failure to observe a court order. If he continues to refuse the Judge can execute a judicial deed. You will need to consult with a lawyer to follow the steps necessary to get to that point.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 5/19/2016
Click to View More Answers: