How do I get my ex to sign a quick deed? 3 Answers as of May 25, 2012

I was awarded my home in my devorce.How do I go by getting my ex to sign a quick deed?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Mary W Craig P.C. | Mary W Craig
I think you mean a quit claim deed. If the divorce decree indicated all parties were to sign whatever papers were necessary to effect the property distribution, then your ex is required by court order to sign the deed, and is subject to a contempt action if he/she does not. If the decree did not contain that language, then things may be a little harder for you. Look at the decree to see whether it requires the paperwork be done.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 5/25/2012
LEATHERS LAW FIRM | A. Wade Leathers, Sr.
Ask him to sign Quit Claim Deed. If he refuses, he could be held in contempt of court if it is ordered for him to sign over the property to you. First, you would have to file a Petition for Contempt ( Petition to Show Cause). Check with your attorney on the procedure for this.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 5/25/2012
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
You don't. If a court has ordered the deed transfer as part of an equitable distribution or community property consent order or trial decision, you can bring her in for contempt of court. If you have neither a written agreement nor a court order, you'll have to take her to court to have a judge rule on what to do not only with your house, but also with the rest of your marital estate. Before you bring your ex in on contempt of court, have your lawyer prepare the quitclaim deed and send her a letter informing her that it's ready for her signature. State a deadline in the letter. Hold off on filing your motion until after the deadline passes, and save any emails, voice mails or text messages that indicate her refusal to sign. Be sure, though, that you're in compliance with all portions of the order yourself. While one party's contempt doesn't excuse another's, judges don't like it when one party brings a contempt motion even though he is in flagrant disregard of the order himself.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 5/24/2012
Click to View More Answers: