How do I get my child support payments modified? 8 Answers as of April 29, 2014

I have no income and am going to school with financial aid because I was unable to get a job in this economy. The court ordered me to pay $490 a month for child support, which I have no way of paying. How do I get this changed? Also, if I become pregnant by my new husband, will my payments change? Thank you!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
John Ceci PLLC
John Ceci PLLC | John Ceci
You have to file a motion with an attorney asking to reduce your support. If you have a new child that is considered a second family and that affects support payments, too.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/29/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
File and properly serve a request for order (RFO) to modify support.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/29/2014
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
To change change support, you have to file a modification. If you can't support the child you already have, don't get pregnant with another one. Your financial aid application should have listed your child support obligation as an expense. Frequently this means you can borrow enough money to cover the support obligation. Also the court can take your husband's income into consideration since you're not working.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/29/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You have to go to the court and have the order modified, and another child will change your obligation.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/29/2014
John Russo | John Russo
You need to file a motion with the court to modify, also yes when you have the child you will be entitled to a credit.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 4/29/2014
    Law Office of Linda K. Frieder
    Law Office of Linda K. Frieder | Linda K. Frieder, Esq.
    Go to court and ask for a modification / reduction of child support. Once the new baby is born, it also can be considered as a factor in the amount of child support you pay.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 4/29/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    All you can do is go to the court and show that there has been a material and substantial change in circumstances. Your income from student loans may count as income to you. Once you have a new child, it may have an effect on your child support payment, but you should talk with an attorney to calculate what the effect may be. It is possible that it would be so small that it would not be worth bringing it to the court's attention.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 4/29/2014
    Home Town Law, P.A.
    Home Town Law, P.A. | Sabina Tomshinsky
    You may file a motion for temporary suspension of your current child support obligation due to your current, unintentional unemployment. Also, any subsequent children you may have will not have an impact on your current support obligation.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 4/29/2014
Click to View More Answers: