How do I get my boyfriend from Nigeria, I am a US citizen, I known him for years and we are planning to get married? 3 Answers as of April 22, 2017

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
There are a number of ways, including a fiance? visa. The best thing you can do is to contact an experienced immigration attorney for a face-to-face consultation and give him/her all of the facts surrounding your situation. (S)he would then be in a better position to analyze your case, advise you of your options and make sure that the necessary paperwork and documentation is properly presented so as not to delay the process.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/22/2017
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C.
Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. | David Nabow Soloway
Generally, a U.S. citizen may sponsor a fianc? in a K1 fianc?/fianc?e visa application that would authorize a fianc? to enter the U.S. for the purpose of becoming married within the required time deadline, and then the couple could pursue an adjustment of status application process by which the foreign national spouse could become a Lawful Permanent Resident (get a "Green Card"). Alternatively, the couple could become married abroad, and then go through the "consular processing" steps for the foreign national spouse to be able to enter the U.S. and be a Permanent Resident. There are advantages and disadvantages for each option, and of course each option has many details that determine eligibility. It would be wise for you and your fianc? to consult with an immigration attorney who, after learning all of the relevant information, could advise about immigration eligibilities, options and strategies and could offer legal representation in the often complex application process.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 4/22/2017
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices | Juan Ramon Rivas-Rivera
You may file for a fiance visa while he remains in Nigeria. After approval, he will habe six months to travel to the U.S. Once here you two will have ninety days to get married or he will become out of status. After marriage takes place, he will be able to file an application to adjust his status to legal permanent resident (green card). But, if you decide to get married in Nigeria, you may file a petition on his behalf, afterwards and he will traveled to the U.S. on an approved permanent resident status. You will need an attorney on either case to help you through with the consular processing.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 4/22/2017
Click to View More Answers: