How do I get money from a settlement when I turn 18? 31 Answers as of May 25, 2011

I was in a car accident a few years ago. My 18th birthday is next week. I don't know if I have to go to the lawyers office to sign papers or what I need to do.

Bloom Gates Sigler & Whiteleather, LLP
Bloom Gates Sigler & Whiteleather, LLP | Matthew Shipman
In Indiana, you have two years to file a claim for personal injuries after you turn 18. If you have already filed a claim and an attorney is in the process of finalizing your claim, I would contact their office directly.
LT Pepper Law
LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
You should contact you lawyers office to find out the terms of the settlement.
Dearbonn Law Offices
Dearbonn Law Offices | Ajibola Oluyemisi Oladapo
Go to the lawyer's office to get the papers signed and for advise on how to proceed.
Wilson & Hajek, LLC
Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
You should have to sign something to acknowledge receipt of the money. Call the lawyer who has the money.
if you have counsel consult with that attorney. If you are looking for counsel please feel free to contact us for a free initial consultation.
    Contact the attorney who handled the case for you and ask for the money or contact the insurance company who covered the person you sued. Good luck.
    Law Offices of Michael Stephenson
    Law Offices of Michael Stephenson | Michael Stephenson
    You should hire an attorney to contact the insurance company on your behalf.
    The age of majority is 19 in Alabama. If you have a need such as school, or transportation, you could petition the court for release of some funds now. Stay well.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    You need to contact the attorney to check the status of the suit. Because you were a minor the case may have been resolved and your parents would have signed for you. This is something your attorney would know, so speak with the attorney.
    David Hoines Law
    David Hoines Law | David Hoines
    Your parents should know. Otherwise contact the lawyer who handled the case.
    Two ways. Go to the attorney's office and have them file out the paperwork or do it yourself and file it with the court.
    Ask the lawyer who handled your case. He's your attorney and is working for you.
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
    It depends how the case was resolved. Your lawyer, assuming you had one, can explain the process to you.
    Allegretti & Associates
    Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
    The answer depends on whether the amount you received by way of suit or settlement was large enough to require that it be placed in an account that can only be accessed by court order. If so, then you probably need to appear before a judge to get an order releasing the funds to you and then take that order to the bank. If a parent of guardian is holding the money they should give it to you upon request if it has not been spent for your support.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    Actually, unless you made some arrangement to have the money at 18, the funds are normally not distributed until you are 19. Call your lawyer.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    You need to contact a personal injury attorney if there is no settlement already. If a settlement is in place, then you need to contact the Guardian of the money and request the money.
    David B. Sacks, P.A.
    David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
    What you need to do is contact your lawyer or ask your parent/guardian where the money is and then you need to contact the bank or financial institution and find out what paperwork they need to release the funds to you.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.
    Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A. | Lawrence A. Ramunno
    Normally, you would go to the bank where the money is deposited and establish your identity and age to withdraw the funds plus interest.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Your money is being either held by the court or by the insurance company. Call your lawyer and ask him. Call the clerk of superior court and ask if there are any funds in your name.
    You will most likely have to go to the lawyer's office who handled your case, since undoubtedly a guardianship account was set up for you, and that lawyer can tell you where the account is. Once you turn 18, you have the right to withdraw the money from that account under ordinary circumstances.
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC | Andrew F. Garruto
    Contact the surrogate in the county where your settlement was court-approved. They are holding your money with interest, and they release it once your 18. Give them a call and ask what the procedure is. If you don't recall what county your case was in, contact your lawyer for those details.
    Ackley Law Group, PLLC
    Ackley Law Group, PLLC | Andrew N. Ackley
    Generally, you will need to ask your lawyer to file a motion to disburse funds in the court venue in which your settlement was approved. This can take approximately two weeks. If necessary, you can do this yourself, but your attorney should do it as a courtesy. Once the judge signs the order to disburse funds, you have to file a receipt of funds with the court so they know you got what you were entitled to. Hope that helps.
    Premier Law Group
    Premier Law Group | Jason Epstein
    Call the lawyer who handled the case for you. They should help you take care of it.
    Miller & Harrison, LLC
    Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
    Contact the lawyer who handled the case, but probably it is held in trust, maybe with one of your parents in charge. They likely will have to turn the money over to you.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    In all likelihood there should be a blocked bank account in your name. You should ask your parents or the attorney where the account is and contact the bank. They should be able to explain what you need to do to have the money released to you.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
    Did you settle yet? If yes, the money is likely held in trust. It depends on the state you are in and the amount of the settlement. I would begin by discussing this with your parent or guardian.
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
    In Cook County, Illinois, minor's settlements which net $10,000 or more for the minor, must be approved by a probate judge. In most cases, the probate judge enters an order approving disbursement of the minor's funds into a specially held account, that is accessible to the minor upon reaching majority age (18). In such cases, there are no papers that need be signed. One of your parents should possess the account information you require.
    Rothstein Law PLLC
    Rothstein Law PLLC | Eric Rothstein
    I think you just take the infant's compromise order to the bank, which probably has a copy anyway, with your photo ID. The easiest thing to do is ask the branch manager where the money was deposited.
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    You should talk to the law firm who negotiated the settlement, or else talk with whichever financial company is holding the funds. Hopefully your parent(s) or whoever worked with the settlement company has kept the documents.