How do I get legal rights for my younger sister? 4 Answers as of August 05, 2011

My mom wants 2 live with a new partner that she has met but my sister does not want to live with this person so my mother has agreed to let her live with me. I obviously need money and legal rights over her for obvious reasons, but I just dont know how to go about it.

Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You should commence a third party/no parental custody action.
Seattle Divorce Services
Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
In order to be entitled to child support you would need to bring a third party custody action, or enter agreed third party custody orders. It might also be possible to obtain a guardianship over your sister with an agreement for support monies from your mother. See an attorney in your area for more information.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
The rights of the biological parents of a child are superior to those of a third party, even a sister. As a practical matter, this means that at very least you are going to have to get both parents to agree to having the child placed with you as a third party custodian. If either parent does not agree, then, your only option is to convince the court that the parent that is not agreeing is "unfit."
You can gain third party custody of your sister by proving your Mother is unfit. If that's not an option, she can grant you a special power of attorney over your sister, but that won't get you any money necessarily.