How do I get legal residency for my wife? 5 Answers as of June 07, 2011

I became a legal resident in 1986. How can I get legal residency for my wife, who is in Mexico?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
The options for your wife to come and be with you immediately depend on her background and whether she qualifies for a nonimmigrant visa of any type. You can file an I-130 for your wife as the spouse of a Permanent Resident but this just gives her a place in line. It is possible this category will advance rapidly again as it did last fall; but I would suggest first assessing other options as certain nonimmigrant options are incompatible with seeking permanent residency. If nothing is suitable then definitely get in line. We would be happy to assess your case, advise more specifics on the procedures, timing and fees if you want to set up a consultation (in person or by phone) with me as indicated below. We do charge for consultation but the consultation fee is then credited 100% toward the fees for your case.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/7/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
File form I-130 for him ( ). You should be able to see what kind of documents you will need to file along with it on the form itself. When that form is approved, then USCIS will send it to the National Visa Center and they will hold it until the visa priority date (date USCIS received it) comes up and processing will begin. This process will take years depending on which country she is from. In that time, you can check this link to see where she is on the waiting list: Her category will be F1. No one knows how long this will take. It can get complicated and if you feel you need help, then hire competent counsel to do this for you. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/6/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
It would be faster and better if you are a US citizen. File for citizenship as it is only taking 3-6 months, then you file the relative petition for your wife and she applies for the immigrant visa and enters the US as a permanent resident. Please review this information and contact me to discuss the details of the case. Thank you.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 6/6/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
You file the I-130 petition for her. In a few years she can then apply for her green card. If you become a USC, then the process is the same but will be faster.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/6/2011
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
Probably the fastest way is to apply for citizenship, than petition for her. Speak with an attorney. For a free consultation you may contact my office.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 6/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: