How do I get a K-3 visa process started? 7 Answers as of May 19, 2011

I am trying to find a local attorney to begin the k-3 process.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Oltarsh and Associates, PC
Oltarsh and Associates, PC | Jennifer Oltarsh
We would be happy to assist you. Please call us so we can set up an appointment. I have been practicing for over 15 years. Our immigration law firm has been in the immigration field for more than 45 years. We have handled cases with experience, integrity, and good effect. Please call me. We offer payment plans with no interest.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 5/19/2011
The Jarrett Firm, LLC
The Jarrett Firm, LLC | Patrick Jarrett
The K-3 visa process starts with filing an I-130 and then an I-129F with supporting documents. Once your spouse is in the country, you will need to then file to adjust status.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/16/2011
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella
Law Offices of Caro Kinsella | Caro Kinsella, Esq.
Feel free to contact my office, so we can give you a free consultation, and go through the process with you. As Immigration law is Federal law, you Immigration Attorney can be anywhere in the U.S. And assist you.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/16/2011
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You can certainly begin with finding a good attorney, and I am available for you to contact by e-mail or phone to set up a consultation, which is either by phone, or in person, if you live in the greater Los Angeles area. You will begin with a filing of an I-130 petition for alien relative with USCIS, deliberately designating K-3 as your visa category. Your wife will engage in the second part, filing the K-3 application for legal residence through consular processing, and will be scheduled for a consular interview. All this will take 3-4 months for the first process, and about the same amount of time for the consular process. There is more, so let's talk.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/16/2011
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
The K-3 visa practically no longer exist. The K-3 visa was created because American citizens who filed for a fiance (k-1 visa) had a short wait whereas American citizens filing for a spouse (immigrant visa) had a much longer wait. People came out with the idea of K-3 visa to make things fair. The goal of the K-3 visa was also to allow the immigrating spouse to joint the American citizen spouse in the US while waiting for the approval of the I-130. So far so good. I processed a lot of K-3 visas without any problems. At first the K-3 petition (I-129f) was approved much faster than the i-130 (which is for an immigrant visa and must be filed before the I-129F). My clients would then proceed to the consulate, obtain their K-3 visa, enter the US, wait for the I-130 to be approved. One day, the USCIS somehow became faster with the adjudication of the I-130. Both the I-130s and the I-129F were approved on the same day. However, the consulate would provide the option to either apply for a K-3 or for an immigrant visa. Finally, someone up high realized that the goal of the K-3 was to permit the foreign born spouse to come to the US while waiting for the approval of the I-130. Things no longer make sense to get a K-3. The National visa Center decided to cancel the I-129F petitions that were approved at the same time as the I-130. So it was basically the end of the K-3 visa. Would a simple immigrant visa be good enough for you? It would take about 10 to 15 months to complete the process.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/16/2011
    World Esquire Law Firm
    World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
    It is not necessary for you to have a local attorney although I can see why it may be important to you. The reason I say it is not necessary is because immigration is federal law, therefore any attorney accredited within the 50 states and US territories can help you with this process. Having said that, the process begins with an I-130 petition approval followed by an I-129 which will be sent to the National Visa Center and then on to the right consulate for further processing. Good luck!
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/16/2011
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
    Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
    The K-3 process can only be started after an I-130 petition has been filed. You then have to file an I-129F Petition and include the Notice of Receipt for the I-130 petition. However, the K-3 petitioning processing is taking just as long as the I-130 process for spouse, so it generally is a waste of time.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 5/16/2011
Click to View More Answers: