How do I get joint custody of my child for the summer? 22 Answers as of June 11, 2013

I was wondering how to get joint custody of my child? Her father has temporary full custody of her since 2007 and we live to far away to visit all the time so just wondering how I can have her during the summer.

You have to file a motion to modify seeking possession and access in the summers.
Any change of custody requires a showing that the child is endangered in the current custody situation and that the benefit of the change outweighs andy harm caused by the change. You provide few details to assess your case. You should consult with legal counsel in your state,.
Michael Rose Attorney at Law
Michael Rose Attorney at Law | Michael Rose
You need a court order for custody and visitation. File a case in family court.
Horizons Law Group, LLC
Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
Bring a motion for summer placement.
You would have to file a motion.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
    File an OSC and request the summer time.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    I assume you have some sort of parenting plan in place. That is going to govern until it is modified. It can be modified a couple of ways. It can be modified by agreement between you and your "ex." This can be either a temporary modification or a permanent one. If it is a temporary one, you can probably just write up an agreement between you and your ex and both of you sign it. If it is going to be a permanent change to the plan, then, once you have the agreement, you should take the additional step of actually having the court sign off on an agreed, modified parenting plan. If they two of you cannot reach an agreement, then, your only choice is a modification, assuming that you can meet the criteria for a parenting plan modification.
    We recommend you see a family law attorney about your rights and options in a modification action. Good luck.
    Unless your divorce is still pending, his custody is not temporary. You can file a petition with the Court to request extended parenting time.
    I would suggest that you ask her father to let her visit, and get the agreement in writing. If he will not, then you may need to go to court. I can help you with this. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the telephone call and no charge for the first office visit.
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
    Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
    You must petition the Court who gave the husband custody to modify the Order.
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
    Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
    You would need to petition the court for a change in custody. Since the father has had custody since 2007, you would likely need to work up to a parenting plan which would give you the entire summer. You should establish a parenting plan which includes visitation for various holidays or where you have one weekend per month. Once the relationship is established you can increase the time.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    You probably need to file some sort of modification or motion to establish timesharing. However, without knowing more about your case, it is impossible to answer your question. You should consult with a family law attorney as soon as possible.
    Your terminology doesn't make sense. Regardless of what you mean by "custody" (and Colorado no longer uses that term at all), whatever court order that has been effect apparently since 2007 controls the time the child will be with you and the time she will be with her father. If it doesn't require the child to be with you for the summer, you are at the father's mercy until the order is modified. It isn't clear why you say father still has "temporary full custody" after 4 years, or what that even means, but the simple fact is that either father has to agree to something or you need to get a modification to the Parenting Time schedule that is currently in effect.
    Move to change the temporary order or move to install a permanent order that gives you what you want.
    If there is an existing custody order, you need to file a modification to change it.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
    I would need more information on this temporary custody. Depending on the status of the case, you would have to file a Supplemental Petition to Modify Time Sharing or a Motion to Modify Temporary Custody. I suggest you consult an experienced Family Law attorney to discuss your case in greater detail and learn all of your rights and options. Good luck.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    You need to take your custody order to an attorney and have a detailed consultation regarding filing a modification action.
    You would call your lawyer in the temporary custody case and seek a final order with visitation for you.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    Provided you can show a substantial change in circumstances since entry of the last parenting plan, you should file a petition for modification.