How do I get Intellectual Property Protection? 6 Answers as of July 07, 2011

I have written a How To book that is unique. I have a TM for the title and an ISBN & Writer's Guild # but think there is more to protecting intellectual property there not? I am now teaching a continuing education course and my book is now the textbook for that. What else do I need to do to protect myself from knockoff artists?

Intellectual Property Center, LLC
Intellectual Property Center, LLC | Ak Shaf
Have you considered getting a copyright? Let me know if we can help and good luck.
Greenwald, Mayfield & Vigil, LLP
Greenwald, Mayfield & Vigil, LLP | Darrell J. Greenwald
You're off to a good start with the preliminary steps you have taken. One more thing you should certainly do is register your copyright with the US Copyright Office ( Registration is not necessary to obtain a copyright since a copyright was automatically established when you put pen to paper and embodied your original idea in the book. However, registration does provide several added benefits, including a presumption of ownership and statutory damages if your copyright is registered prior to any subsequent claim of infringement. In addition, if your copyright is ever infringed, you'll need to register before you can bring a suit for infringement. The registration fee is nominal, so given the added benefits, it really makes sense to register it now instead of waiting for someone to infringe your work. Also, FYI. since your book is a how to, it's important to note that it is likely that some the elements in your book that are not copyrightable. That's because copyright doesn't protect processes. Therefore, a copyright won't prevent someone from doing the thing you are teaching and it won't prevent someone else from teaching the same thing, even in book form. However, the copyright will protect your specific expression of the process (as embodied in your book) and will prevent verbatim or near verbatim copying of your book). Other may freely express the same process in different terms. It may be possible to protect the how-to process itself using a patent (which affords some protection to process, methods, and systems among others things).
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
File a US copyright on the book.
Grant's Law Firm
Grant's Law Firm | Allan Grant
I would recommend that you consult with an intellectual property attorney to discuss the possibility of trademarking the name of your book as well as a copyrighting the entire contents of your book in order to protect you.
Devon & Associates
Devon & Associates | Marcia A. Devon
You should file a copyright application for registration. I would be happy to assist you with that process.
    Michael M. Ahmadshahi
    Michael M. Ahmadshahi | Michael M. Ahmadshahi, Ph.D., Esq.
    The most likely intellectual property protection for is book is registering your copyright. Although, as the author of the book you own the copyrights to it, registering it solidifies your ownership of it.